new crestie owner :)

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by brad88rx7, May 1, 2006.

1. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

uh oh... I have been using water from my sink, is that bad? I have some mistimize stuff that I just remembered. I havent hurt him have I?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

depends where you live and whats in your water

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

:*( I just replaced it with treated water. Would tap water be ok if it is treated with mistimize? Or should I replace it with bottled water treated with mistimize?

I still cant get him to eat crix... I put him in the 10 gallon with 2 crix and nothing else, no climbing stuff or anything for the crix to hide just to make sure he is seeing them. They walked right past him several times, and I even held one infront of him and he didnt want it. :?: Well one of the crix lost a back leg in that whole ordeal so I just put it in his cage with him for the night. Its not like it is going anywhere fast :)

Mabey I should buy some more of that bendable vine stuff for the feeding cage too?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

Some won't eat the crickets right away in the food cage. It will take them time to associate that with food. He also may not be a big cricket eater. One of mine, I'll be lucky if he takes 5 in a night.

I use straight tap water (Im in Calgary) and have had no ill effects. If you want what mistimize does, just let the water sit for 24-48 hrs, that will allow the Chlorine to evaporate off. Mistimize does nothing else but gets rid of the cholrine which minimizes the white spots you get after misting.
    Im not sure about bottled water.....but I think that would not be good......not sure on that tho.......

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

Spring water would be fine. Just don't use Distilled water, as it has no minerals in it at all. I've always used straight tap water and it's been fine.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dixonfish

dixonfish New Member

Hey
    i'm a new cresed owner as well and mine doesn't have a tail either, he is 8 months old. Very calm and easily handleable. Just wondering should i take any sepecial precautions becasue he has no tail? or does it even make a difference? I have "jungle bark" a a substrae is that ok? any suggestions? is flourescant uv light needed? I have the same tank as pictured above but i took the backing out and put a backing paper up instead. I bought the tank off a buddy and yes crickets do it and tunnel in it, as well as mealworms. BAD if the lizard eats them afterwards so be careful.

12. field_hockey_gal

Tail or no tail makes one difference in the gecko - the apperance. :)
    Jungle bark is fine as long as it is big enough that he can't eat it. UV is not needed, but it won't hurt him.
    I take all the backings out, but its just my preference to have it out. If he is feeding in a seperate tank, there should be no problem with the background.

13. dixonfish

dixonfish New Member

crested

trying to load pics of mine up, no idea how anyone?

14. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

RE: crested

put the URL for the pic between

15. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

RE: crested

Update:
    He is more active now and seems to be really happy! :) He is also eating his CGD, and he loves his applesauce babyfood! :)

16. dixonfish

dixonfish New Member

whats the URL? its a pic saved on ym comp

17. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

18. field_hockey_gal

Re: RE: crested

Thats Great to hear!!
    Was he brought up on/with CGD, or did you convert him?

19. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

RE: Re: RE: crested

I know they fed him crix, and on the sign it recommended CGD but I havent seen any in the cage any time I have been there. So I would say I converted him :)

How often should I change the expandable coconut bedding?

20. dixonfish

dixonfish New Member

[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

btw what is CGD?

21. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

Crested Gecko Diet, it has everything they need. Go look at petco for it. It's a powder that you mix with water.

22. dixonfish

dixonfish New Member

what you give it to them in the water? instead of dusting crickets? or it replaces live food altogether?

23. field_hockey_gal

Good Work. Its hard to convert them.
    I would just spot clean the coco fiber every once in awhile. I don't replace it very often at all.

You mix it with water, however much it says on the bottle, then it sets up into a sort of gel. Thats their food. Has everything - vit, minerals, protien. Its a complete meal replacement. No need for babyfood, or crickets - but the geckos seem to love chasing the crickets no matter what :wink:

24. dixonfish

dixonfish New Member

i just got a crested 3 days ago, he doesn't seem to be eating, Let alone moving too much other than when i handle him. I've offered crickets and they still seem to be there, as well as babyfood but it doesn't look like its been touched, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

25. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

babyfood almost never looks like it is being eaten but it might be.... If you want to make sure he/she's eating you can take them out and use a small spoon and put it in front of his or her mouth... maybe put a little on their nose so they lick it... you can even go out and buy some crested gecko diet (its like 5 bucks at petco... comes in a little bottle with a picture of a crestie on it and a purple lid) and you can mix the CGD in with the baby food and a little bit of water and hand feed that to him/her.... hope he or she starts to eat soon :(