new crestie owner :)

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by brad88rx7, May 1, 2006.

1. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

I dont know if you remember me, but I was going to get a crestie awhile back. I researched alot and bought all the stuff, set up the cage but never got a gecko for it! well I just saved one from petco today! He seems to be in good health, just doesnt have a tail.

When I first got him home, he took a leap of faith and smacked a hard case :*( I felt so bad! But, he is exploring his new home right now so I think he is ok. there is a 15 day gaurantee just in case though. If he was hurt from a fall he wouldnt be very active right? I turned out the lights and he is checking everything out. 8)

His home
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/speed...¤t=100_0211.jpg

Im so excited! :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

aw! i have gotten all 3 of my babies from petco :) I absolutley love them! Have you named him or her yet? Taken any pics? hehe... we love pics here... lol :-D congrats!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

the link to your pic doesnt work...

StikyPaws312:
    Were your 3 cresties from petco healthy when you got them? i was advised not to get my cresties from a pet store because most have internal parasites and such.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

ya im not getting any pics either

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

yeah the link didnt work for me either, but anywho... yes :) all were given a clean bill of healthy b4 i got them :)... i used to work there so i kinda finagled the system a bit and took them to the vet on petco's bill... hm... lol anyway... then i bought them ... not all at the same time mind u... but i love them all :) and they look awesome! hehe

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

[​IMG]

I will get a pic of him in a minute :) I bought a 10 gallon today aswell to feed him in. I have him in it right now so I can observe him, and I am getting in some handling time! He already is ok with me :D He still runs some from my hand, but once I have him he is calm and sits on my hand.

His name is Rocko 8) like the old cartoon, Rocko's modern life

12. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

wow. i havent thought about that cartoon in years...

nice enclosure. is it an exo terra?

13. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

Yup, its the 18x18x24
    So far he loves it!

I tried to feed him some crix dusted with CGD, but he wasnt interested :D I will try again tonight. I will also mix in some baby food with the CGD I have in the cage to see if he will like it more.

14. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

i ordered my 18x18x24 and it should be here tomarrow. are you happy with it? what is the background like?

15. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

Its awesome :D The quality is great, it looks nice and it has cool little features. The background is nice, it is holding up well. That plant in the back left has a long needle thing that is stuck in the background, it is his favorite spot :) and it holds up fine. He also likes climbing on it.

16. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

cool. whats the background made of?

17. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

styrofoam, I heard the crix will eat it though, thats one reason I bought the 10 gallon to feed him in.

18. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

i see, i think i might go out and do the same before i get my crestie. dont want crix gut loaded with foam. lol

19. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

haha yeah that would be bad :D

I need to bulk Rocko up alittle, what should I feed him to do that? waxworms?

20. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

Congrats, can't wait to see pictures. :D
    Waxworms can be fed, but some won't eat worms (not alot of movement.) Some of my adults will eat superworms tho. However, it should go after crickets. Good gutloaded crickets, dusted, should bulk it up in no time.

21. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

[​IMG]

He doesnt seem interested in eating much right now :D How long can he go w/o eating hardly anything?

22. field_hockey_gal

Nice looking gecko!

It may not eat the day you got it, then it will eat 3/4 days per week usually. Give him a couple days to settle in tho.

23. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

aw! hes a really cute little tiger baby :( hehe, are u just hand feeding him or are u leaving babyfood/CGD in the tank all the time? he may be feeding and u may just not notice...
    he is probably just stressed from the changes tho like FHG said :)

24. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

Update!

I left some applesauce babyfood in his cage in a little water bottle cap, and he ate almost all of it! He also has CGD in there. So today I mixed the CGD with baby food, about half and half to get him to eat the CGD too. Its hard to tell if he ate any of it though. He is fairly active, and I found some poop today when I got home. It looked like a crix that he ate before I got him. I still need to go get a crix cage, I realized I forgot one when I got home from petco, so my 10 gallon is their cage right now. That was supposed to be the cage to feed him in! Im not putting him in there with ~15 little crix running around.

Is it ok to handle him and hand feed him around 6 pm?

25. field_hockey_gal

Great to hear!

For sure. If they are not hungry at that time, by 7ish he should be down hunting. But aslong as their light source is off, or it is later in the day, he may come out to hunt. Some of my geckos however will not hunt with the lights on, so you have to wait till its dark.
    Handleing, is ok at any time.