New Crested Gecko: Not Eating?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by CoexistExotics, Apr 6, 2008.

1. CoexistExotics

CoexistExotics New Member

So I bought a new crested gecko last weekend (March 29th) and since then he hasn't been eating. For the first few days I had him, he was looking really white and like he was ready to shed... but now hes looking a little brighter, and still not eating. He will lick baby food off of his snout if I put it on him, but otherwise he wont touch his baby food, Rephasy CGD, or even crickets. Is there something wrong with him? He's really active and healthy... so now I am worried. Any suggestions?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

My first question is, how sure are you that he isn't eating? I'm sure you know, but they don't eat a terribly large amount of food, so it's often hard to tell when they've touched it. Since he still seems to be active I would not worry too much about him yet. Keep providing different food choices in the tank (I hear a bit of honey in the CGD helps) and keep on the look out for poop. A new home paired with a possible shed may be why he doesn't seem to be eating much. It's also possible that you just haven't found food that he likes the taste of. Keep trying and I'm sure he'll take to something. :p

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Like Fiche said, they have the most minute amount of food really, but has he been pooping ok? That's a good way to tell, because what goes in, has to come out :wink:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CoexistExotics

I do not see much poop around the cage, but there is SO much foliage it doesnt surprise me.

I am pretty sure hes not eating cuz I hear that with cresties when you put crickets in, they go right after them, and he didnt even touch his... didnt even really seem bothered by them either.

I gave him a 20 oz soda bottle cap half full of crested gecko diet, and the only time he ate any was when i put some on my finger and touched it to his nose.

I did the same thing with babyfood.

Both the babyfood and the CGD were in there overnight, and I threw them out the next morning.

I am just worried about him cuz hes my little sweetheart.

He does seem healthy and happy, however, which is why this is so perplexing...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Try jar feeding, it's a lot easier to monitor the food intake that way. Also, you will barely notice if they have been eating CGD or babyfood if it is left in there overnight, seeing as they eat so little.

It's good that you're worrying. That's what makes you a good owner :p

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CoexistExotics

What is jar feeding?

12. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

A lot of people use it for their crickets. You get a glass jar that is tall enough for the crickets to not jump out, with an opening large enough for your crestie to get in. That way the crickets have no where to go and he can pick them off just like.. well, just like crickets in a jar. :p

13. CoexistExotics

Oh what a great idea! I will definately pick up a mason jar for that purpose. Whoever originally thought of that was pretty genious lol.

14. psi_chick

psi_chick Member

i've always found that it's easier to get them to eat CGD if it's mixed in with babyfood. i've never been able to get our cresteds to eat CGD on it's own. i'm going to try the flavored stuff when my current bag runs out, but until then i just mix it in the babyfood and add a little extra calcium and they eat it right up. you might have to experiment with different flavors for him as they do have their preferences (banana and pear are favorites for our crew!)

15. CoexistExotics

Yea my little guy started to eat peach baby food. Only a few licks at a time, but at least its something.

I found some shed in his cage the other day, so I know I was right about that.

Thanks for the advice, I will try doing that from now on :)