New Baby Igauana

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by joezzy_1, Dec 18, 2006.

1. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

Hi i just got me a new Iguana And its a baby I don't know how many weeks it is. I got him/her at Petco I was wondering what should i feed it. Right Know i'm feeding it Romain Lettuce And Carrots and The Iguana Dry food. He has eating from me a few time but he really dosen't like to be held he like to be just free on your hand and i'm afraid he will try to jump of so wat should i do.
    What else should i feed It

Ps Please Help

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. EndVision

EndVision New Member

first off just gotta say you should of done some research before getting an iguana theres alot to know about them like when they're in mating season how agressive they can be let alone the size they get and if you can accomodate them

anywho. stop feeding him romaine and carrots thats bad try to give him a mixture of about 2 different greens and some veggies heres a list of some stuff you could easily find at your local grocery store
    -Collard Greens
    -Mustard Greens
    -Dandelion Greens
    -Chicory
    -Butternut Squash
    -Spaghetti Squash
    -Turnips
    -Snow Peas
    -Bell Peppers
    also you want to go back to either petsmart and petco and get some sort of calcium supplement youll usually find it in powder form that you mix in with the food this is a MUST so make sure you get that

what size enclosure do you have your ig in and what is the set up like? do you have a basking light? and UVB? and since your ig is new dont handle him for about a week or two give him time to settle in then slowly introduce yourself always bring your hands in front of his face and move slowly towards him NEVER come from above or the side cuz youll spook him always make sure he can see your hand but like i said try waiting about a week or two before handling you dont want him too stressed out after that try handling him for about 30-45 minutes a day

heres a care sheet you can go by:http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/index.html

try reading all of that so you can get the general idea

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

thanks But this isin't my first So feed s/h diffrent stuff on the list you gave me Well i have already been handling my igg But i got him like last week somtime I have some if that calcium stuff does the dry food help also Does the powder stuff expire

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. EndVision

EndVision New Member

it does look on the side where the ingredients are, you should see expiration date the stuff does last a while tho like the jars i got like 2 months ago expire in august of 08 but yeah stay away from romaine or any kind of lettuce igs will eat it but its not good for them, you want to feed him dark leafy greens like collards for example my ig today is getting collard greens chicory butternut squash and asparagus i try to mix it up every week to give him a variety carrots are ok to give but only as a treat also every once in a while try giving him some watermelon its good for them since its so rich with moisture i usually try giving 2 different greens and 2 veggies for food a week well good luck if you have any other concerns or questions feel free to ask!

oh and try not handling him for about a week alot of handling right when you get him can stress him out and cause him not to eat so let him be for like the rest of this week then when thats over go to the handling him for about 30-45 minutes a day

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

Thanks Last night i hand feed him some Bananas and he loved them. Should i mix the dry food up with the fresh food or no

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. EndVision

EndVision New Member

thats something thats up to you, the dry food isnt going to hurt him but before you give him that moisten it, dont give it to him as just try pellets

12. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

Thank's

13. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

I'm back What kind of fruit should i feed my igg bysides watermelion

14. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

Is it okay fot the igauana to be a little brown on his back bit under his stomach it is green

15. denise38

denise38 New Member

Not to sound rude.... but you say this is not your first, yet you didnt know that feeding your ig romaine lettuce is not a good food choice.

anyhow.... good luck. !

16. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

Well you did sound rude and um the petstore told me that i could feed him romain lettuce so

17. EndVision

EndVision New Member

first good rule of thumb NEVER listen to petstores most of them hire un expierenced teenagers and they have no idea what they're talking about romaine is BAD

18. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

iight thanks for all your help

19. denise38

denise38 New Member

I apologize... it was not my intentions to sound rude, but the longer I own my iggy the more irritated I get with the info the pet stores dish out. !

I do wish you the best of luck with your ig. ! there are alot of great owners on this site that can give you awesome info over anything the pet stores will give you.

and also... if they happened to tell you that heat rocks are a great thing for them...... that would be another "wrong" source of info you would have been given.! just an fyi. !

20. WTFbbqSnake

WTFbbqSnake Member

Buy iguana for dummies. Like was said before anapsid.org has lots of good information. + Iguanas for dummies was written by Melissa Kaplan, creator of anapsid.org Petstores tend to be "salespeople" they'll do anything for a sale. As a general rule you shouldn't feed any type of lettuce because they hold no nutritional value for an Iguana. I believe alfalfa is a good staple for them.

21. EndVision

EndVision New Member

i would also recommend collard greens you want to look more for the dark leafy greens to feed them

22. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

thanks alot he has been doing good he is in his sheeding process. I'v been given him or her a bath almost twice a week in spraying him alot i don't have a heating rock so that safe But my iggy dosen't really like the water what should i do

23. EndVision

EndVision New Member

igs dont usually drink water out of a dish they usually get their water from their food, i good treat to give them is watermelon because it keeos him hydrated as far as baths my ig still doesnt enjoy them right off the bat but once hes in he gets used to it so its normal

24. joezzy_1

joezzy_1 New Member

he used the bathroom in the tub He has a lump in his stomach is that bad

25. EndVision

EndVision New Member

do u have a picture of it? if your concerned take him to the vet cuz yeah a lump in the stomach isnt normal...does he have loose substrate in his enclosure is it possible he swallowed some?