New at This, Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by Mandi, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Mandi

Mandi Embryo

Ok, I fed my king for the first time on Friday night, he ate two adult mice just fine, but now he has been in hiding ever since, is this because he is digesting his food. When should he have his first poop? I haven't handled him at all, just to move him back into his regular tank. I just want to make sure... I should wait about 48 hours before handling him right, or should I wait till he poops?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. susyq

susyq Member

just handled my 2 4 year old calis for the first time tonight, ive had them now for 2 weeks fed them once and let them settle in to the new surroundings. my calis have never been handled up to me getting them so it is like dealing with a 4 foot and a 4.5 foot hatchling, hope this helps ;)

my zoo 2 okeetee corns 1 male 1 female, a female miami corn, 1 snow corn, 1 axminster corn (king/corn hybrid), 1 red albino corn, 1 amber corn, 1 bloodred het corn, and 1 male 1 female california kingsnakes

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. susyq

susyq Member

;) oh i forgot i also have 6 gerbils 2 cats and a hamster

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. prosasis29

prosasis29 Embryo

my female amelanistic corn keeps regurgitating everything she is feed and is now losing alot of weight has anyone any ideas on wot i can try its been three weeks now since i first got her and she hasnt kept anything down really worried!!!! HELP

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Lexxicos

Lexxicos New Member

Check the temperature. If it's quite a lot of degrees under 85 F, the food may start decomposing before digestion can take place, resulting in dehydration. (The enzymes in the stomach have an optimum temperature of about 85*F)

If she's new and a hatchling, her cage should be roughly 10 gallons, not a lot larger. Big, open spaces can freak a little snake out, and create enough stress for regurgitation. Make sure her cage has a lot of hiding spots, its in a secluded place in the home that does not get a lot of traffic - lots of vibrations and movement can stress a snake out also.

Also, don't handle her after you've fed her. This could result in unnecessary stress for her and thus she regurgitates. Wait at least 2 days.

I just read up a lot on snake care, I don't actually one yet, but soon. I'm sure others with experience may be able to help you out a bit more.

Let us know how it goes!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. prosasis29

prosasis29 Embryo

shes 3 years old but i only got her 3 weeks ago she is sharing with a male ghost the bloke in the shop said this was ok but i have read since that housing corns together can cause stress conditions that do affect their feeding. She seems to get on well with benson the are always curled up together but i suppose it could be that
    Lexxicos,

12. Lexxicos

Lexxicos New Member

The "bloke" in the shop should not have said that. It is generally accepted that snakes should not be housed together, as some may be quite sensitive. Especially since they are of two different genders, the female may be more stressed than usual. Try separating them, and feeding the young woman in a separate enclosure, such as a good sized bucket or trash can. A 10 gallon tank may even be enough. Just be sure she gets her privacy, it may well be the cause.