New Albino King Owners!

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by ICEnVy, Feb 24, 2006.

1. ICEnVy

ICEnVy New Member

We are very excited to have this beautiful snake. We have been looking around for a snake that we liked for a couple months and we found it. We are new to this so any reccomendations or sites to use for reference? We are planning on buysing a 40 gallon tank or so. We have the infared light for the smaller tank we have now along with a night lamp and the coconut bark from eco earth. We also got a water dish and a thermomoter. Anything else we need besides hiding places?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

I think you are all set. But as far as sites, I can't help you there, sorry.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

A thermometer, digital with a probe and a humdity reading is best. You can pick one up from Wal-Mart for $15 or less. A normal lamp to provide an 8hr photo period during the day. You can pick up a timer from Wal-Mart for $5 or so, that way you dont have to worry about turning it on and off every day at the same time, it can do it on its own :3 Now, Is your king snake a Cal. King? Most Kings are about the same care, even if it isn't a cal. But let me know so we can make sure everything is correct together.
    You want you humidity to stay around 45-50% I have heard up to 60% is ok as well, remember that Cal. Kings are from the desert. If your humidity is to high, Add some more heat to the tank. This should be done through an Under Tank Heater. You let if cover 1/3 of the tank. The same side you have the light for your photoperiod on, if you can. This is so that you create one hot end, and one cold end. The hot end should Exceed no more then 90degrees F. It should be no lower then 80d. F. Your other end of the cage should become your cool end. Reaching its hottest point at 75d. F and no less then 70d. F. Except at night where temperatures may drop slightly. Just make sure they come back up to a nice 85-90 basking spot during the day. ((See how that dig. therm with a probe is going to help? You can move it around, and the stick on therms are crap.))

Ok, so that has what light and temps covered? Good. Onto the rest :) Despite being a fairly terrestrial snake, he is going to want stuff to climb on. When mine didnt have enough stuff to climb he would wedge himself between the lid of the tank and the lip of it and crawl around there, often falling. So from that experience, a few rocks and branches ((all cleaned with water/bleach mixture and dried throughly if you take them from outside.)) Possibly some fake plants from the crafts section at Wal-Mart or something like Jo-Ann Fabrics. You can make your cage lovely that way. Just remember, make cleaning easy on yourself too. A nice rock on the basking side, smooth on the top but a bit rough on the sides is good idea, so that he can rub against it to shed. At least one hide on the cool end and one on the hot end. Make sure your water dish is larger enough for him to soak completely and not drown.

Ok, I -think- I covered everything for now until you have feeding questions. However it is 2:30am here so it is quite likely I left something out. But there is your mini-complete King Snake guide. ((again set towards Cal Kings so for others it may vary slightly.))

Edit: I KNEW I forgot something! LOCKS lol you need to get some sort of lock for your lid. Most petstores carry a couple different ones for screen lids. Normally less then $5. boy, are King snake that escape artists. Dont EVER think they cant escape unless the lid is secured in like 4 places. :) Oh and a rheostat/thermostat for your UTH they can get to hot if not monitored. LLL Reptiles is having a sale on them abouit $9 for one that supports 150watts. And for the UTH look into Zoo-Med.

http://www.grizzlyrun.com/Pets/Reptiles/Sn...ake/Default.htm

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ICEnVy

ICEnVy New Member

Well thats good information. I am pretty sure it is a cal king. The feed store just said albino king snake but I think he said cal king. The tank we have right now is pretty small so for now is it ok to go with a very basic setup? We will get a 40 gallon or so in about a month. Thanks.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

Basic setup: substrate, UTH possible lamp. Rubbing rock/branch. Two hides on on each side. Ability to check on humidity and temps. Water bowl.

If it was less time, I would say you could maybe do a bit less. But that is what you need for a month or so.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CornyGuy

Very well said, VtMiPqYeRr

12. ICEnVy

ICEnVy New Member

Two hides on each side of the rubbing rock/branch? So it looks like we are good to go for now, except for something for him to rub on and a house thing to go in. So what all else am I going to need when I get my 40 gal? Just the setup VtMiPgYeRr suggested earlier? Thanks a lot.

13. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

Two hides, one on each side :D That is what I get for 3am typing skills. The branch can be anywhere in the tank. Oh and dont forget, for hte first week or so, don't handle your snake. Let him settle in as he is probably under a lot of stress right now.

Yeah the basic setup is all you need for the 40gal. too but I am sure you will see how it looks and want to add more. Ill show you my 60/75 gal. and how empty it is. Even with some extra floor decorations.

((Thanks for the comment on my words CornyGuy :3 ))

http://www.reptilerooms.com/photopost+show...56-cat-536.html Ok this will stay a link because it wasn't working with the img tags.

14. ICEnVy

ICEnVy New Member

Oh, now I see what you mean by branches and rubbing spots. That is cool, thanks for sharing! Your setup looks good. Is that a type of carpet you have as your substrate? or what are you using? Thanks for the advice on not holding for a week lol. We will just try and be patient.

15. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

It is actually a heavy fabric, almost like canvas but not as uncomfortable as that. It was left over from a pair of pants I made, so I cut it down and hemmed it. I actually have to pieces of it for his tank so I can switch them out when cleaning. It was cheap and easy :)

16. CornyGuy

Pretty smart. A lot of things can be used as substrate, I never thought of using fabric.

17. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

:3 I got the idea because in my first tank, I had repti-carpet. I dont really like that much though sicne it frayed so easily and didn't clean well.

18. CornyGuy

I have never used repti-carpet, but I can imagine it doesn't clean well.

19. ICEnVy

ICEnVy New Member

We were told to only use the eco earth stuff. I think our feed store must be a bunch of retards. They said it was because this type of snake has slicker skin? hmm.

20. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

HEhe It really doesnt make a difference. Slicker skin (i believe) Is just part of telling a more arboreal snake from a terrestrial snake, though I could be completely wrong on that statement. Substrate after you think about health concerns really just comes down to how it appeals to you.

21. ICEnVy

ICEnVy New Member

Someone said the eco earth coconut shavings can cause bacterial infections on this snake.

22. CornyGuy

I have never used coconut shavings, but I have never heard of bacterial infections being caused by it?

23. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I've heard that before, but it should only concern you if you own a ball python as they need more humidity then corns and kings. Keep your kings cage fairly dry and you'll be fine.

24. CornyGuy

Yeah, kingsnakes are more desert snakes.

25. ICEnVy

ICEnVy New Member

So as an update. We found out the largest reptile breeder in northern california is in our town! We went there today and wow, we were in heaven! We got a lot more comfortable with snakes today, which is a good thing. After holding some babies and older snakes, we decided on a 2 year old hi-yellow corn snake. The breeder highly recommended it as a starter snake and had been using it for showing k-6 classes and a couple birthday parties. It is extremely docile, and we are very happy with it. I think we are going to become addicted to this place now :D They sell their snakes through kingsnake.com and their personal website, so it is a very reputable breeder. Anyways, just wanted to fill you guys in. Im sure we'll be asking for advice somewhere along the way.