New adult leopard geckos wont eat!

Discussion in 'Live Help and IRC Chat' started by Ken, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Ken

Ken New Member

I just got 2 new adult leopard geckos, theyre roughly 3 years old and have always been housed together. They came in a 30 gallon tank (roughly 36" long by 12" wide), I switched them to a 20 gallon (24"x12") the same day I got them. There have been 2 stool piles in the 7 days I've had them but they have not eaten. The 2nd day i had them one of them had a full body shed no problem. All the temps are perfectly fine, hotside 92-100 degrees and the cool side is 75-80 degrees, hides on both, calcium dish and water dish on cooler side. One is more active then the other. They look healthy, seem very shy but Im assuming theyre just really stressed and that is why theyre not eating. Ive offered them both mealworms and crickets every night so far and they just dont eat them. Please and help would be much appreciated!!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. naykid

naykid Member

Welcome to the boards! You'll probably not see them eat much at all for about 3 or so weeks. If they have lived in the same home for 3 yrs, it'll be quite traumatic to them.Was there a reason to down grade the tank size? The temp on the warm side seems about 10deg too warm. Just keep offering fresh food & water most likely they will come around. Keep us posted on the progress & pictures always helps us to see how the set up is arranged, sometimes it helps. We also just like to see more reptile setups:)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ken

Ken New Member

GetAttachment[1] (2).jpg GetAttachment[1] (3).jpg GetAttachment[1] (4).jpg GetAttachment[1].jpg GetAttachment[2].jpg

naykid likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ken

Ken New Member

Just watched them both come out and walk around for about 15 minutes, one of them even left another stool pile for me to clean, maybe they did eat a cricket or 2 the other day and i just miss counted. I havent tried to feed them or do anything to the tank except for fresh water changes and just a mist here and there. Im going to offer them a couple mealworms if they come back out while im up, if not tomorrow i am gna put in a couple live dusted crickets. Usually only one comes out walking around while the other hides and vice versa, so it was nice to see them both out and about. Those pictures I took this afternoon when the smaller out of the two came out for some calcium and water, the bigger one was in the moist hide just hanging out. I moved them to a smaller tank because i felt like the other tank was too big, plus I needed it for a baby red tail boa. I heard it was fine to house 1-2 in a 20 gallon and seeing how they have always been together and are probably sibilings it would be ok. Its not crowded as they have 3 hides and still lots of room for them to walk around, which I must say they walk very slow all the time. I feel like theyre both really big, its hard to tell exactly how long they are but Id say 6-8 inches.

naykid likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. naykid

naykid Member

Looks like things will most likely be fine:) keep doing what you're doing.Their most likely just readjusting to new things. If you don't have a digital scale, it's nice to have so you know what their weight is doing.Your setup looks good.keep us posted on their progress.

Ken likes this.