Nematode Parasites

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by alfon76, Jun 14, 2011.

1. alfon76

alfon76 Reptile Veterinarian

Nematodes are the general term used for parasites that are worms. You probably have heard of roundworms and hookworms as well as whipworms and heartworms in dogs and cats, and they are all worms referred to as nematodes in parasitology. Just like with reptile species the genus and species names change all the time but at least the common names stay the same. Different parasites have different methods of affecting your reptile and many parasites have specific medications used to treat them so it is important to have a good veterinarian by your side when you're attempting to treat and control these parasites in your collection.

Here are a couple of pics of some nematodes I have found in reptiles:
    [​IMG]
    This thick-shelled egg is typical of Roundworms or ascarids. This parasite came from a Panther Chameleon. These parasites are thick and spaghetti-like in appearance when seen outside of the body. The worm eats the reptile's food in the intestines and doesn't allow the reptile to get proper nourishment. IN some cases they can get so numerous that they cause impactions in the intestines and can even find their way into the stomach and cause the reptile to vomit them. Roundworms are considered zoonotic, which means they have the ability to infect humans so be careful when handling a reptile diagnosed with roundworms and make sure to always wash your hands when handling any reptile regardless of how healthy it looks.

[​IMG]
    This the larva of a strongyle parasite, likely Strongyloides. This parasite came from a Panther Chameleon. They are very similar to hookworms and some people consider them the same but these guys have the capability of reproduction via eggs (like most parasites) but also by direct development into larvae, basically live-bearing. They use their mouth parts to attach to the intestinal mucosa and suck the reptile's blood. This causes the reptile to become anemic and have poor blood flow in the intestines therefore causing poor nutrient absorption in the gut. Strongyles are considered zoonotic as well so they can be passed to humans and as such, care must be taken when handling reptiles suspected to have these parasites. Wash your hands always, even if the reptile seems healthy. It is better safe than sorry.

Below you can see a video of an adult Strongyle parasite trying to get out of the microscope slide. You can see its mouth parts as well as some of its organs pulsating and working. When the camera moves towards the lower parts of its body, you can even see a larva right next to it.

I will keep updating this thread with more pics as I find them in my library. Hope you find them useful and educational and that it makes you seek professional and licensed veterinary help for your reptiles if you need it.

StikyPaws312, justkev and maryse like this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. alfon76

Please excuse my grammatical errors. I try to write as proper as possible but it doesn't always work.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. alfon76

Continuing with the posts on Nematodes, here are a few more pics from my library:

[​IMG]
    Hookworm eggs

[​IMG]
    Hookworm egg

[​IMG]
    Strongyle larva, likely Strongyloides.

[​IMG]
    Pinworm eggs in a Redfoot Tortoise.

[​IMG]
    Pinworm eggs in a Bearded Dragon. These eggs can be easily confused with hookworm eggs because of their multicellular contents. Thankfully both pinworms and hookworms respond to the same treatment so even if there is confusion in the ID, there won't be any confusion in how to treat them.

[​IMG]
    Adult Pinworm in the feces of a Meller's Chameleon.

Adult Pinworm in the feces of an adult wild collected Meller's Chameleon. Notice its digestive and reproductive systems and the amount of eggs present inside and outside the worm.