NEED TO KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH MY DRAGON

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by zanderp, Dec 4, 2012.

1. zanderp

zanderp New Member

I have had my water dragon for a couple months. He's fairly young (about 10months old). He shed for the first time about a month ago. He's recently come up with some kind of aliment practically over night. The top portion of his head has turned dark. The weird part is that It's only about 3/4 of his head. He doesn't seem to be sick at all. He's eating fine, and acting completely normally. Originally I wasn't concerned because I figured that his head was getting ready to shed (his head didn't shed with his body before), however he hasn't started to shed after the few days this has been going on. The skin doesn't feel any different, nor does it seem to be bothering him. As you can see, the rest of him looks completely fine. His underside looks completely normal as well. Does anybody know what is wrong with my dragon?????
    IMG_0587.JPG

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Hello, zanderp, and welcome to the forums.

I've noticed that water dragons' skin can stay brownish for quite a while, even weeks, before actually shedding. If there has been no change in behavior and there are no noticeable defects aside from the discoloration, I wouldn't worry too much about this. Just keep humidity up and make sure he has a nice water source to soak in as needed. His skin is a bit wrinkled in the picture which usually indicates dehydration.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a source of UVB? Water dragons that young are usually in a state of constant shed. It's a little odd that he's only shed once in the couple months you've had him, and he appears to be rather small still. Not trying to nitpick or anything, just wanted to make sure everything's alright for your little guy.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Once again, welcome to the forums! =D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. zanderp

zanderp New Member

I do have UVB. He's got a 10.0 bulb. Apparently while he was in the pet store he didn't shed once, which i found odd too. He does have a good sized water dish, which he typically spends a lot of time in. I also give him baths every day or so to get him even more water.

Cammy likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Well that's good to hear! Maybe he wasn't being provided UVB at the store and was just off to a slow start. Sounds like he's in good hands now. =D