Need To Know ALOT About Corns

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Raziel, May 10, 2004.

1. Raziel

Raziel Member

Ok i CAN go check caresheets i CAN do alot of things lol.But i want everyone opinions,so here are my questions

Temps:Hot/Cool Side?
    Day/Night Temps
    Snake:Lenghts It Gets Up Too
    How Many Gallons Can It Live in?
    Can It live in a 10-15g And If So Till How Long?
    Substrate:Wich Kind Should I Use
    Any Other Info I Should Know.

Thx

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. adam2373

adam2373 Member

Temp: 80/75 day, 75 night
    Size: about 4-5 feet
    Tank size: 20 gallon long will be fine even at adult size
    Substrate: hatchling use paper towls, as adult cypress can be used
    Extra info: use a hide. fresh water daily. DO NOT handle for the first week or so, let him adjust.
    feed weekly, try frozen/thawed food over live, safer for snake, use tongs to simulate
    movement. mist not soak around shedding time, will help with shedding. make sure the
    cage is secure. room lighting is fine, special bulbs are not needed, they actually prefer
    room lighting as they are secretive snakes.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Venzor

Venzor New Member

Temps:Hot/Cool Side?
    --I keep my tank between 75-95 (extremes)

Day/Night Temps
    --I leave my heat lamp on during most nights, not sure of the temp range

Snake:Lenghts It Gets Up Too
    --I think longest ever was about 6ft. but they generally stay 4-5ft long

How Many Gallons Can It Live in?
    --Didn't this get answered already? :) 10 gallon long tanks work fine until the snake is about 3 feet long, then a 20 gal is sufficient, but larger is preferable (I'm not positive, someone correct me if they feel otherwise)

Can It live in a 10-15g And If So Till How Long?
    --Yes. Snakes grow faster the more you feed them generally, that's why so many people talk in lengths instead of years. General rule is to keep a snake in a tank that has a surface area greater than the length of the snake. Once again this is fairly extreme, and the snake should be transferred before it reaches such a limit.

Substrate:Wich Kind Should I Use
    --How much work do you want to put into it/How good do you want it to look? I just posted a response of these forums, so I'll link you to that post: http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-1594.html

Any Other Info I Should Know.
    --Love and respect your snake; treat it as a member of the family. Don't neglect, and make positively sure you are ready for a corn before you buy one, and make sure you can keep it for its full life (10-15 yrs or sometimes more). Also, use the "Search" function of these forums to find answers. There's an excellent knowledgebase offered on this site (look to the links on the left), and a lot of your questions have been answered already. (I know I asked a lot of the same here when I was about to get a corn)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Raziel

Raziel Member

Can he live in a 10 gallon??Till what age if it can?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Venzor

Venzor New Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Raziel

Raziel Member

Oh lol sry didnt c your reply b4...

12. Raziel

Raziel Member

They sound pretty easy to care for...oh incase ppl are wondering the ghost corn mentioned in my sig is my cousins not mine lol...but they sound easy easier then leos to care of

13. Venzor

Venzor New Member

Yes, they are very easy compared to many other pets. And Corns make excellent beginner pets for this reason. And I see that you posted your question at the same time I posted my response :)

14. Raziel

Raziel Member

lol yeah...hmmm sounds like acorn be good they get up to five feet though?

15. Venzor

Venzor New Member

You won't see 5 feet on a corn until it's a couple years old, if I recall correctly. Corns are very slender, so you don't have to worry about a hefty snake. Females usually tend to be shorter at full length than males, so if you are worried about size, go for a girl :D And to be quite honest, because of their slim bodies, corns don't appear to be all that large. They rarely stretch themselves out to full length, so it isn't always apparent how long they really are.

16. Tim90

Tim90 New Member

No I think of half to a third of the leath is all youl see.
    5 feet is acuatly small for snkes (really) and sometimes they dont even ge that long. It will be 2-3 years minimum befoe it is that lenth

17. Raziel

Raziel Member

hmm...im probably getting one i need the breeder to get bavk to me.

18. TomServo

TomServo New Member

Two good books I have:

The Corn Snake Manual by bill and Kathy Love
    What's Wrong With my Snake? by John Rossi

A ton of great information at your fingertips.

19. Venzor

Venzor New Member

The Corn Snake Manual is a book I recommend to anyone even thinking about owning a corn snake. They are very extensive, and the price is right. About $12USD per copy, $14 after shipping.

20. TomServo

TomServo New Member

Yea, read everything but the breeding portion in one night. The other book is good too for dealing with a sick or injured snake.

21. Raziel

Raziel Member

ok thanks...