Need Something For a 30 Gallon

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by PFratt, Nov 8, 2009.

1. PFratt

PFratt Embryo

Right now I have a ball python (4-5 months old) in a 30 gallon tank (36Lx12Wx18H) and since I'm going to need a larger tank eventually I wanted to know what other reptile I could keep in a 30 gallon tank. I want something that would be easy to take care of and preferably not a snake, bearded dragon or crested gecko (not a good fit for my tank I know but my sister and her boyfriend have one and I want something different).

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

a leopard gecko would be quite happy in a tank that size. they are very easy to care for

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. PFratt

PFratt Embryo

Thanks for the suggestion but is there any other type of lizard that would fit in my tank? I forgot to mention that my sister might be getting a leopard gecko and I want something different, sorry. Also, is there any other lizard that is easy to take care of that would fit in a 24Lx24Wx48H? It doesn't have to be a beginner lizard since I have experience with reptiles. Thank you

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

You have many options with either of those sizes your suggesting, most any gecko would be happy in one or the other depending on the height.

There are vast varieties of terrestrial geckos that would be very happy in that 30 gallon...likewise, there are vast amount of arboreal species that would adore that 24" x 24" x 48" due to the height. The same would be so for come amphibians and frogs but you are more interested in a lizard.

Any of the Rhacodactylus species of gecko would be happy in either of those enclosures; prefering the one that is 48" tall due to their arboreal nature. I know you said you were not interested in crested geckos, but there are also the R. auriculatus, chahoua, sarasinorum, and leachianus. Leachies are pretty cool lizards, and they are the largest species of gecko in the world.

Uroplatus geckos are another options for the taller enclosure. Same with tokay geckos, and day geckos (phelsuma). The options are practically endless, you will just want to look into a specific genus in order to determine what species is most interesting to you and what kind of care you can accommodate for it.

I can't go into too much detail for exact species that would be ideal in those, so I'm simply giving you the broader end. This post would never end if I did that =)

I believe anoles would probably due fine in one or the other, but I do not keep them so I would not know 100%. You could create very elaborate naturalistic vivariums with those setups and decide on a species that would do best in one.

Is the 24" x 24" x 48" screen or glass? If it's screen, most species of chameleon would be alright in there except for the very largest species. Most chameleons do not do well in glass aquariums/terrariums so that would be out of the question if it isnt screen. Chameleons stress easily and are not meant for handling, simply a pet to enjoy watching. I would say only get one if you have a screen enclosure, and have looked very deeply the species you're interested in's care, they require a great deal of more specialized care than many other lizards and herps.

The possibilities are practically endless, what is your budget? Are there any specific qualities you are looking for (handleable, bright colors, do well in groups, easy of care)?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. PFratt

PFratt Embryo

Thanks for all the info. To answer your questions, I would prefer a reptile that likes to be handled and that isn't too hard to care for. Also, I'm just about 18 years old, I live at home and I'm planning on getting a job soon so I have a pretty reasonable budget but I'm not ready to spend thousands...a couple hundred is fine though. Also, the 24x24x48 is glass but I could always get something else if needed.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Alright, this is where things get a little trickier =)

Uroplatus and Phelsuma geckos do not tolerate handling well, they are more for looking at and enjoying in that sense. So that would probably rule them out. (But they are very cool!)

When it comes to difficulty of care, I would remove chameleon as a possible option. Plus, they are probably the least handleable pet lizard you can find. They do require pretty specialized care and tend to require a lot of money for a set up. I've been looking into getting a panther chameleon myself and intend to spend $600+ for him and on everything to get him started.

Rhacodactylus geckos tend to do a decent job at tolerating more handling. Gargoyle (R. auriculatus) and chahouas tend to be relatively laid back. Leachies are also pretty calm with regular handling, but it's the chahoua and leachie that tend to be much more expensive. I would say the average pricing of the animal itself is usually between $300-$500+. Gargoyle geckos can be about as expensive to purchase as a crested gecko, and are just as easy to keep. However, they do not tolerate each other (very aggressive with one another), so you could only get one.

Having a small group of viper or helmeted geckos would be interesting in the 30 gallon, being terrestrial. But they are very small and fragile so handling would probably be a no-no. Actually, most gecko species are best left for observation with only handling as necessary to prevent stress.

African Fat-Tail geckos are great, but they are also EXTREMELY similar to leopard geckos. So if you arent into leopard, you may not like fat tails. They are a more laid back pet gecko and will tolerate handling.

The main problem is that the geckos/lizards you dont want are the most common in the pet trade, and one of the reasons they are most common is due to their ease of care and willingness to allow some handling. I'm not as familiar with toleration of handling in many other species, but I would assume that the leo, crested, fat-tail, and a couple of the other rhacodactylus are best for that (and Beardies are like dogs of the lizard world).

I'm not as familiar with other actual pet lizard species, mostly just geckos, so I couldn't help you much in finding a different lizard (not gecko) that would meet your requirements. However, I do know of a couple of lizard species that would meet your specs...

Certain Uromastyx species might do okay in the handling and ease of care department. But they are more of a terrestrial species so with some research into the one you want, you may need to get a different enclosure.

Allso, This just hit me like a ton of bricks. Blue-tongued skinks are a lizard that could possibly fit in one of the sized enclosures you mentioned, and to my knowledge that are quite laid back and are pretty easy to care for. You could try looking into them too. Same goes with them as far as enclosure size goes though, might need bigger?

So in summary of what I just explained, possible recommendations by me would still be Rhacodactylus species, fat-tail gecko, Uromastyx or blue-tongued skink if you want something that can be handled. If you think you will enjoy the pet for looks and not handle it too often, possibilities are practically endless =)

12. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

i second the garg oyls gecko suggestion, they look like tiny tree alligators

also i think a blue tongued skink needs at least 40gals. they seem to be fun to keep though and liek to explore from what ive read

13. PFratt

PFratt Embryo

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. Now I guess I just have to decide what I really want.