Need help preparing a cage for a future Cresty

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by BoyntonStylez, Nov 24, 2004.

1. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

Ok I have a 10 ten gallon and a 5.5 gal in my storage. If i get a baby ill be using the 5.5 depending on its size. But so far I have carpet/woodchips, dry hide, humid hide with moss, water dish, plants, lots of driftwood and polished rocks. What kinda lighting do I need and what do I use for a heat source. If someone can direct me to a URL or thread that would be great.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

No need for a heat source as long as your house temp doesn't get below the low 70's. At night they can handle temps in the mid 60's. They actually can get stressed and even die if exposed to temperatures above 84*F.

Lighting is not nesesary being nocturnal, but if you wish to use lighitng get a lower power UV bulb. For example a 2.0 over a 5.0 version of something.

Stick with the carpet, seeing as crickets can hide under the wood ships and there is a possibility of swallowing a wood chip during hunting. Whcih can easily lead to impaction.

There is no need for a humid hide exaclty, but I would get a spray bottle for sure. Spray bottles are need to keep the humidity at the prefered range of about 60-90%. I would mist the entire cage 1-3 times daily. This is also how they will get their water, by licking of little droplets from leaves or other surfaces. But I would still keep a shallow water dish to rasies himididty and some do learn to drink from it.

Try to keep the hides off the ground if possible, being arboreal they prefer hides that are higher from the ground. All you really need are a few silk plants or something that could cover him up against the glass or a plant with larger leaves so he can't be seen and feel protected.

I would use the 10 gallon personally, and then upgrade to a 20 gallon tall enclosure once its around 6 months old. A 20 gallon tall is ample space for a single adult. Unless its under 2-3 months old, I'd stay with a 10 gallon.