NEED HELP BAD????FEMALE CORN SNAKE

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by 00bharrop, Mar 14, 2006.

1. 00bharrop

00bharrop New Member

to day i bought 2 corn snakes round about 3 to 4 ft in lenth the both ..i put them both in with my massive male corn snake for both to mate with her[[i no to seperate them] but when i looked my largest corn was trying to do his thing :twisted: but when i looked at the female i saw quite i bumb at the end od her tail were here HOLE IS .the man who i bought it of said he thinks she,s pregnent but i felt the bumb softly and i carnt feel and eggs..so i took her to the local pet shop and the trainie who helps there said she might justs need to POO and to bath her in warm water...i did that and nothing happen and i have no idea what to do..i would really like for any ideas of what that lump could be ,and what i can do to solve it..P.S. i carnt up load any pictures due to them being to big or somet?im working on it...someone get bk asap plz

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

First of all, you bought two females and put them in with your male right away? You didn't quarrantine the two snakes from each other and the male first? You need to quarrantine for at least 90 days before you introduce another snake to them. What if there is something really wrong with your female and now your male has it?

As far as what the bump is, I really have no idea. Seperate all three snakes from each other, and put them in their own enclosures. I would call your reptile vet, and get the female in question looked at. Do not go back to the pet store, that really isn't a reliable source of information. You need a qualified reptile vet to tell you what's wrong. If you don't have one already you can find one in your area at Herp Vet Connection or at the ARAV Website (Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians).

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. discus

discus New Member

Totally agree with the above statment

also the lumps could be fat buildup...
    What was the snakes feeding regiment?
    Abn adult corn snake should be feed once a week with an adult xlarge mouse or even a small -med rat...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00bharrop

00bharrop New Member

no i bought a male and female and but both males in with her..but i have taken them out now

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. 00bharrop

00bharrop New Member

what is fat building?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. discus

discus New Member

If you can find out the age of the female ..Females should not be breed if they are younger then 3 then can be breed younger but they do get egg binding if breed to young....

12. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

I could be way off here, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I know you cant just throw snakes in together and expect them to breed...it's a bit of a process involving cooling them down, weaning them off feeding etc. Usually typically over the winter. Moving into warmer spring weather now, I dont know how successfull a breeding attempt will be..it's really the far end of this breeding cycle.

13. DragonCharmTwo

DragonCharmTwo Member

NEVER introduce newly aquired snakes to your others until they've been quarantined properly! Also, you just don't go "throwing" them together. As said above, you need to cool the adults properly before they should be bred to replicate natural breeding cycles. Do you know anything about the history of the snakes you purchased. Are they even full adults? Have they been cooled? How much do they weigh? What is their feeding history? Are they even healthy? Foolish, foolish, foolish!

Fat building is fat deposits that show up as bumps on the last half of the snake, usually on the dorsal side. They come about from over feeding and are generally irreversable.

14. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

I know it has been said, but that was a very irresposible thing to do. Getting new snakes and putting them together WITHOUT being quarantined. The new snakes could easily pass on any of the diseases it may carry. You obviously didn't research on the breeding of snakes. You need to do so if you are planning to breed them. There are several steps to do, PRIOR to breeding. They need to go off eating, they need to cool, etc. And the most important thing is knowing their AGE. Like said before, premature females that breed will develop serious problems.

15. 00bharrop

00bharrop New Member

someone should tell my snake its not mateing season ive only had the female for about 6 hours and they both been mating like mad...the i dont no the age of the female but its about 3 anhalf ft in lenth...and by the way b4 i got the 2 snakes 1.1 there last owner had them in the same cages for 2 years so i dident want to split them up

16. DragonCharmTwo

DragonCharmTwo Member

Do you know what it really looks like when two snakes mate? Are you sure they aren't just showing signs of dominance?

17. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

More importantly than size/age alone, you need to make sure that the female/s are heavy enough to support pregnancy. Breeding an underweight female can cause all sorts of problems.

I'm very interested in seeing what happens here with three snakes when it comes to feeding time and competing for hides.

18. 00bharrop

00bharrop New Member

ive got plenty of hides for them,, i feed them in seperate tubaware tubs..and yes i do no what mating looks like were the female has to lift open her own vent only to the snake she wants to stick it in her...the female wont let my snake get it on ,but i went up stairs about half anhour ago shewere getting it on with her partner[the male that i bought with her]they were full on mating

19. 00bharrop

00bharrop New Member

and she has already mated 1 and had 8 eggs with 2 being bad eggs but the babys were fine ,so i here

20. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

soooooo, i have to ask...what do you plan to do if and when the female lays eggs? do you know ANYTHING about incubating them? are you planning to sell the babies? there's so much wrong with this thread...lets just label this as "What NOT to do when breeding your corns"

21. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

You mean you cant just keep the babies in there with them?? :) LOL!

22. 00bharrop

00bharrop New Member

ha ha very funny.. ive alread got ove 40 SPARE 6"width by 10"lenth by 5"hight..and 2 10 gallon tanks..with more than enough heat mats and heat strips to do with..an has for incubating i use a polystyrene incubater with heat mat digital themometer and a thermostat control unit...to incubate corn snake eggs you need a air tight tubaware box half fill it with verm and then add water ,pick the eggs up in the way they were laid down turn ove or embros will dround..they will hatch in 45 to 55 days but can go longer..ant the temp for female corn is 80 to 82 for mix is 84 to 85 and male 87 to 88..for the 1st few weeks the temp will dicide what sex the are......so if any of you smart allics and any other comments keep them to your self..unless there nice coments...lol

23. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

No smart allics here :)

..just people concerned about herps.

24. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

yes concerned...there's so much that goes into breeding. I, myself, wont attempt it for now. It's stressful for the snakes, not to mention, requires tons of research and time and equipment and money to hatch healthy hatchlings. in your other threads you appear quite new to owning corns. all of a sudden, you have an adult female and then toss 2 males in there and hope that the female will have eggs. after only 3 days, you decide to own 3 corns and breed them?!? and you, yourself, are not sure of the health of the female. you're not even sure if she's gravid, has a fatty deposit or something else causing a lump in her.
    what you are doing is irresponsible. you still didnt answer my question of what you plan to do if in fact you do end up with 10 or more baby corns...you do realize how much work that will be right? you cant house them together. you have to get them to eat pinkies, you might have to keep them for awhile...you cant just sell them as soon as they hatch....or if they dont sell you're stuck with them....

25. DragonCharmTwo

DragonCharmTwo Member

If you claim to know everything about breeding and raising Corns, then why would you be so foolish as to throw TWO males with one female and not even quarantine them first? You seem to be taking this very lightly. Also, if the sizes you gave are right, the female seems rather small to be breeding healthily.