NEED GOOD NATRUAL LOOKING IDEAS FOR 10g For mY leo

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Raziel, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Raziel

Raziel Member

The tank is only 10g but my leo is still a juvie so its on paper towels now but i needsome i deas for the future, im planning on using white(not calci) sand and using peat moss for humid hide im i have 2 caves one medium one small from exo terra i got the magnite thing on against the wall small sieze(also exo terra) and i got a tree thing...i wanna try to fill up the tank though but i want it natural looking but i dont know bout making the humid hide can i just have moist peat moss underneath a cave?im thinking of taking a low ziploc round bowel butting it under the medium cave so itll look natural i still need more ideas.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. tvala

tvala New Member

Sand, driftwood, rocks, coconut hides, cacti (not spikey, and left in pot), fake green plants and a background on your tank will all be good natural additions to your 10 gallon tank. Just make sure the gecko has some decent walking-around space, and put the humid hide (however you chose to make it) on the hot side of the tank.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Raziel

Raziel Member

k thanks

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. beakgeek

beakgeek Embryo

I just redid the substrate in a 20 gallon long enclosure for my leopard geckos. I have two slate tiles in one end which leaves about a 6 inch gap on the other end. I filled half of gap with river rocks from home depot, and the other half with paper towels. I saved some droppings from the old substrate and put them on the paper towels. The under tank heater heated up the tile perfectly, and all the hides fit nicely too. I'll try to get some pictures posted later.

Regards,

Terry

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Smileen

Smileen Member

Raziel, I used a fake cactus thingy, a half-log hide, and some terracotta pots I got for $.50 apiece at Wal-Mart. I used a hammer to make holes in my pots, and all three are different. One shattered in half (whoops), but I used the two halves to make a long cave. Of the three, she spends the most time in her cave one. She used to chill the most in the one with just a quarter-sized hole, but she broke it a little more by climbing on it and it weakened and cracked, so now she has a tall door. She climbs on them, in them and around them, and they aren't too unnatural looking.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

I saw a pic somewhere once where the person had used non-toxic glue (or something like it) and stuck rocks all over the outside of their moist hide. You could try that... looked great and would fit in with the decor.

12. Raziel

Raziel Member

That sounds good, but on another thread you mentioned some thing about caves tell me about that?

13. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

We've made them with wood, tile and heat tape. 12" tile (just because they were going into 34"X11 1/2"X11 1/2" enclosures) with 11" heat tape underneath. Wood on all sides, then screen over the wood. Another round of wood on all but one side to create the 'cave' effect. It would work as well with smaller tiles and heat tape. The screen prevents the leos from actually touching the heat tape and we use a dimmer switch to control the temps.

14. Raziel

Raziel Member

im not much of handyman but that sounds cool!

15. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Not sure what it would cost for shipping, but I could look into it if you want us to make an extra one for you. What size would you be looking for?

16. Raziel

Raziel Member

ooh i dunno im kinda wanting tha blizz so itll be the blizzard first if anything

17. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

No problem. I'll get the info to you ASAP. :D

18. Raziel

Raziel Member

k thanks,need em prices

19. erb0

erb0 Embryo

Could you provide a more detailed explanation? If the wood goes on all sides the first time around, how is there an opening? Thanks.

20. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

The first four pieces of wood are attached to the tile, then the screen is attached to the wood. This allows a space between the heat tape and the leos. The next three pieces of wood are attached to three of the original four pieces, creating a doorway into the one side. I'll post a pic so you can get a better idea.

[​IMG]

21. erb0

erb0 Embryo

Pic dont work, but thanks.

22. Jhoss22

Jhoss22 Member

heres the setup i have my two baby leos in for there 10g tank. i bought a large habi-scape corner cliff from my local pet shop for like 10 bucks and put it in the back right hand corner about 6 in. of the ground. i then bought a terracota saucer type thing that goes under pots for one dollar. a took a hammer and knocked a 2in. by 1in. hole in the side. i put that underneath the cliff. i also took a cypress knee that i cut in a swamp and put it in the other corner. it is about 10 in. tall and about 3 in. across with a 3 in. tall by 2 in. across gouge in it. the gouge was already there. i also took little clay and ceramic dishes and got them fairly short and used them for a mealy bowl in front of the cypress knee. a water and calcium bowl in front of the terracota hide. my babies love it and so does everyone who sees it. you can also put things on top of the terracota hide because its like 8 in. across and only an inch high. i hope this helps you. good luck.