natural substrates for a corn snake

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by ty16, Apr 30, 2004.

1. ty16

ty16 New Member

is soil and leaf litter ok to use for a corn?? and if any one has any other ideas please let me know.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I use Cypress Mulch... it's cheap, easy to clean, and looks nice.
    You can pick it up at most Walmarts and Home Depot stores.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tim90

Tim90 New Member

Stormy is right
    Cypress Mulch or Rep. bark
    the soil may have paracites and won't absorb mosture

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Venzor

Venzor New Member

I use aspen shavings... I like the lighter color, and it clumps OK.

Not only that, my snake loves burrowing in it, and it's very moldable. He'll burrow, and the hole with stay. He pushes up little walls inside his caves to hide himself even more. I think he likes it :lol:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

You could try using artificial leves on top of the substrate if you want to make the cage more natural-looking. They're pretty cheap and can be disinfected when necessary. I wouldn't use soil and leaf litter from outside unless you have some way of sterilizing them and even then, it's just too much work to go through when the artificial stuff works just as well.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Venzor

Venzor New Member

Ooo I was thinking of using fake vines, but hadn't thought of fake leaves on the floor :lol: That would prevent obstructing the view :lol:

12. biochic

You can buy them by the bunch on stems but they pull right of and you just sort of 'sprinkle' them on the bottom. Plus they have all kinds of colors and types of leaves so you can mix it up and switch them out real easy.

13. Markey

Markey New Member

Do you need to disinfect the fake leaves with boiling hot water before you use them??? Also, we are using the cage carpeting...can we place the aspen bedding on top of the carpeting??? I'm thinking I'd just like a small area for Markey to be able to burrow in.....
    I'm new to the snake world as this is our first one....it's an orange albino ok..about 6-7 months old.
    Thanks!

14. biochic

I would disinfect the leaves in a 10% bleach solution. Just soak them for a couple hours then rinse and soak in plain water for a couple more hours. But that only works for plastic leaves. The fabric leaves would need to be boiled to disinfect.
    I don't see a problem with putting bedding on top of carpeting except that there would be bedding trapped in the carpeting probably. But other than that I'm sure it would work out ok.

15. whistler

whistler New Member

I use astro turf and just hose it thoroughly when grotty.

16. Tim90

Tim90 New Member

Yes but it wont absorb any dropings so it can be more work.

17. ty16

ty16 New Member

don't use calci-sand, it clumps when it gets wet and can cause impactions. if you want to use sand then get playsand. it can cause impations as well, but not as easily as the calci-sand and it cost's alot less, $2.50 for a 50lb bag at wal-mart opposed to the $10 for a 5lb bag of calci-sand. but i dont know if sand is a good substare to use for a snake.

18. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I wouldnt recommend sand for a corn snake. It wont hold humidity and any mess will run through it and build up on the bottom of the tank. The best bet would be mulch, aspen, newspaper, cage carpet (astro-turf), or paper towels. If you go for mulch make sure that you do not get pine or cedar.