Nails

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Brooklyn4824, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Brooklyn4824

Brooklyn4824 Embryo

I have a quick question. My Uro's nails look like they are getting a little long. Is there a way to trim them or is there something else I can do that will wear them down. she has a few rocks and things that she climbs on that I thought would wear them down but it looks like it isn't working. I have had her for 5 years and just recently they look a little too long, like they are curling under. it dosen't seem to bother her but I know it can't be comforatable. Also I am attaching a pic of her since I haven't been on here in ages and I wanted all to see an updated pic. Ive been told many things but what kind does she look like to you all????? I have had her 5 years and no one can tell me....... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BDgex

BDgex Embryo

Hello,

I've never had a problem with my Uro's nails, but my beardie gets really long nails. I clip them, just the very,very ends, with cat nail clippers. Never take off too much of the nail and be really careful not to hit the quick (the vein that runs down the middle of the nail). I've been doing this with my beardie for some time, and I've never had a problem. I've also heard of people filing down the nails, but I've never done it, and I think it's easier just to clip them. They are so thin that it barely takes any effort to do it. Good luck!

By the way, she might be a Saharan (also known as the Nigerian) Uromastyx. I have a red phase Saharan Uro. She has a lot of the same markings as yours, but I am no expert. Deer Fern Farms has great descriptions, pics of all different species of Uro's.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Brooklyn4824

Brooklyn4824 Embryo

Thanks for the response. I dont think I can hold her long enough to clip them...lol She DOES NOT like to be held. So I may have to take her to the vet to have them do it. I have a herp vet that I work with and he lives right down the street so I may be able to take her there. I will see & let ya know. Yeah I have been hearing that she is a saharan but some say female Mali, I dont know...lol I dont care she is still my baby regardless...