my whiptails enclosure please rate/critique

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by geckolover22, Oct 16, 2011.

1. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

DSC02223.JPG View attachment 1028
    DSC02219.JPG
    DSC02225.JPG
    just finished this set up today is this a bad setup altogether or need changes or what comments greatly appreciated :3

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. electrofelt

electrofelt Member

I don't know very much about these lizards habitat, but I have to say that the enclosure is very nice looking! I love the big piece of wood you have in the front. Did you make sure to clean all the wood before putting it in the enclosure? Also, I love the plant, is it real? I would love to have a live plant vivarium.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. geckolover22

all the stuff is from outside... i didnt exactly sanitize anything just put the materials except for sand in hot water for couple minutes the lil guy is wildcaught from around here so i didnt think it would be mandatory to sanitize everything in such ways the plant too is from here live sage bush

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

It looks nice! I'm not real familar with whiptales, but they seem good, you might want to check a caresheet(if you haven't already) just to make sure you've met all the requirements. The tank looks a great size for them too, what is a a 20 G? Also, when did you get them?, they're pretty cool! :p

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. geckolover22

im not sure how big the tank is... i'd guess a 20 gallon these lil guys belongs in the same family as tegus had him for few weeks caught him at school

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizardgurl87

12. lizardgurl87

Wait and do you just have 1? because he would be fine in that tank then

13. electrofelt

electrofelt Member

Oh wow, those little guys like it hot! That caresheet was saying 110-115 F for the basking spot. I think I would melt in that heat, haha.

14. geckolover22

i just have one of these lil guys pretty sure he's a great basin whiptail grows 5.5 in from snout to vent 13 in total i put his tank outside for a duration to give him the temps he wants and the extra uv light

15. geckolover22

oh and i measured the tank it seems to be 10 gallon

16. geckolover22

on closes inspection he's coastal whiptail with patterns on throat

17. lizardgurl87

cool and you already have 1 of those? Then couldn't you put it with the other outside, the extra light probably is good, but I couldn't do that in Ohio! lol In Cali I'm sure that's fine :)

18. geckolover22

only one whiptail use to have a smaller one but i released him to keep a baby alligator lizard :3

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  19. lizardgurl87

that's so cool that u can just catch tons of reptiles there! Do they ever become tame?

20. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

how is the Whiptail doing ? I know the transition can be tough to put a wild caught in captivity. Reminds me of Finding Nemo when he keeps swimming into the glass because they are used to having free range. o_O

21. geckolover22

i've had many tame lil lizards like i've caught adult alligator lizards and they become one of the sweetest lizards i've ever caught same for my banded geckos :3 the lil whiptail is good always so skittish by nature but he hunts and like digging in the sand with his twitchy lil movements so cute :)

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  22. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

Thats good to hear. It's all about keeping the animals happy to me

geckolover22 likes this.
  23. geckolover22

snaps simple setup
    DSC02230.JPG
    and lily's not finished setup need ideas
    DSC02227.JPG
    DSC02228.JPG

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  24. lizardgurl87

both look very nice and natural! :)

25. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Lily's setup needs more perching and you'll be good - Crested geckos really enjoy nice horizontal perches to lay out on that are above ground level. I'd add some branches to it for climbing and perching on; and to increase interior surface area since the footprint of that viv isn't very large.

I'd consider adding a branch or two, and draping the suction cup plant over part of one to double up as a hide both against the glass and on a section of branch in case she feels like being concealed. Don't make it too cluttered though, they like some room to stretch out = ) 50% open floorspace is usually a good rule of thumb. Those flowers/plants make for a nice looking viv and can act as hides, but they aren't the sturdiest things to climb and chill on.

geckolover22 likes this.