my set-up

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by billyking66, Dec 25, 2010.

1. billyking66

billyking66 New Member

im not a pro herp keeper by far, but i found myself with a somewhat lethagic/obesse 2 1/5 foot savannah (i also have a baby one) i had those regular heat emminating lights the kind you get at your local pet store (THE KIND FOR SNAKES & other herps ) as i aded over a foot of soil to his enclosure (for my humidity & digging) i found out fairly quickly my lights were burning off my humidity as quick as i was making it
    after a little more research i found that the that your regular flood lights holegen work very well he has a basking area of 117 my ambient temps inside the enclosure are 83 to 96 night & day plus i have 2 floods to achieve this I MUST ADD THAT HE HAS A HIDE/BURROW that the temp stays around 75 dgs my humidity stays around 70 % to 80 % so there is a lot going on inside my enclosure i mist downspray b
    ottle daily THE RESULT IS there was a little change of diet to THE RESULT IS I HAVE AN ALIVE ALERT FRISKY MONITOR, THAT IS VERY CURIOUS AND VERY SMART (the wattage on my two lights are 75 & 90

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

Humidity doesn't have to be that high. But everything else seems fine. You say he is lethargic yet obese? Those seem like two contradictory statements.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. billyking66

billyking66 New Member

thanks klik, ill drop that down a little (humidity) i geuuss my adjectives are a little ironic ill give you that. its so funny i ended up changing everything but my enclosure but i did tape off my air holes . i broght in soil changed my lights ,added humidity, changed diet, dialed in my basking area....... i changed so much so quickly, i was actually worried i was killing him so i would get up in the middle of the night constantly to check on him and temps...... i am so grateful for this site, i admit i came here a very naive s. monitor owner I HAD TO REALLY FILTER all the info but i believe my monitor is healthier & happier for my efforts and at the end of the day thats all that matters to me, i will drop that down to 70% sound right to you (i had no humidity 2 months ago)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i've kept sav's between 55-70% humidity and it didn't really seem to phase them much so 70% is good. I noticed anything higher then 70 though and signs of respiratory issues seemed to arise. They can tolerate too low humidity better than too high as long as they have a water dish to soak in. i usually put a heat lamp over the water dish and that seemed to keep the humidity about right and allowed a gradient for them to choose from. any other questions feel free to ask or shoot me a pm