My Savvie is too small

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by IggyMomma86, Feb 1, 2009.

1. IggyMomma86

IggyMomma86 Embryo

OK. I'm new here but not to Savs. I inherited Marlee, my first savvy when she was 2, she was 30 inches long and super aggressive. I had Marlee for 7 years. She was awesome! When she died 3 years ago i didnt really want another one until now, well, I didnt go looking for Bosco, he was surrendered to the shelter i work at. according to the owner he is 2 years and is only 20 inches long. he was on a diet of just mice, but now he gets insects too. he is in a 65 breeder (im not sure of exact measurements) he is on a soil substrate with a water dish big enough to soak in, a UVB light and an under tank heater. he just seems really small, and according to all i've read, should be longer.
    I've only had him about 3 weeks, and he eats and poos really well.
    any advice?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    I would get rid of the UTH and replace with an overhead CHE or even a halogen spot, they get all the heat from above. With a soil substrate it's unlikely to be effective anyway.
    Other than that carry on with insects as this is their main diet, dust with calcium daily and vits such as reptical once or twice a week. He may catch up in size.
    He also need a much bigger tank 4x2x2ft minimum, a 65g is only 36x18x24 inch, a 125g (72x18x21) or bigger would be even better, if thats all that's available over there.
    The UVB should be at least a 10% UVB. The large water bowl is good they usually poop in it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. IggyMomma86

IggyMomma86 Embryo

ok I replaced the undertank with a halogen spot. and we'll be investing in a larger tank asap! thanks!!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Great, just make sure the temps are OK using a digital thermometer with probe if you haven't got one, they are far more accurate that the dial stick-on type.
    Let us know how you get on.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. IggyMomma86

IggyMomma86 Embryo

and by the way he eats a regular sized mouse just fine! :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

Thats good but only once or twice week.