My Savanna Monitor ate part of a pencil...HELP

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by lllxtclll, Jan 3, 2011.

1. lllxtclll

lllxtclll New Member

Saturday evening my adult savanna monitor easily chomped a #2 pencil through and swallowed part of it. He swallowed an estimated 1.5inch piece from the sharpened (but not freshly sharpened...dull) end of the pencil. He is acting normal and I just arrived back from the veternarians where they took an x-ray. The pencil piece appears to be in his stomach still, and honestly the vet didn't know if it would pass or if it should be taken out useing an endoscope (going down the throat and pulling it back out). Since I don't live where big lizards are a commen pets there arn't very many vets who treat them and none who specialize. The vet is getting more info and advice from another vet who would perform the endoscopy to remove it and is going to call me tomorrow morning (Jan. 4th).
    My monitor will be 5 years old in April, weighed 6lbs at the vet today and is about 2.5 feet long. Can anyone give me advice on if they think it can be digested or passed? Should I have it removed tomorrow morning? PLEASE HELP ME MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lllxtclll

lllxtclll New Member

Sprokett had the procedure done today. It went smoothly and the pencil piece was removed. He just needs some good loving and to keep extra warm for the next 24 hours to make sure the anestesia wears completly off he recovers well. Tomorrow he has a post op appointment and they'll be giving him a couple days worth of antibiotics to prevent any infection that could develope from irritation in his stomach. He's not out of the woods yet, but the worst is through.

Attached Files:

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

wow thats tough. I don't have any experience with any kind of monitors but still, I wish the best for you and your monitor! I hope he recovers well!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. billyking66

billyking66 New Member

i had a sock removed from my savannah, same procedure as you i even had to go to multiple vets, these things will eat anything i hope he recovers nicely

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lllxtclll

lllxtclll New Member

all seems to be going well and he is back to his normal self again :)