My sanke hides in a cool place for 3 days after he eats, why

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by fonzy, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

RE: My Sanke finaly shed

Good luck ;) I'm sure he'll grow pretty big. I read that Okeetee are the largest corns.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jammer

jammer Member

RE: My Sanke finaly shed

Really? Cool.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. fonzy

fonzy New Member

how big

If I feed my snake twice a week, will he get bigger then if I feed him only once a week? And i mean his max hight. Also, how big do corns get on ave?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

RE: how big

On average corns grow to be 4-5 feet. The smallest are around 3 feet and they can get up to 6 feet long but those are the extremes. If you feed your snake twice a week it would be considered power feeding. Your snake will grow faster however there are a lot of risks such as regurg, and the fact that you can't handle it. Feeding once a week doesn't have such a high risk of regurg as you aren't feeding alot plus you will have time to handle. Also you have to watch feeding twice a week because corns will over eat and become overweight. I believe either way won't change your snakes max length as it depends on genetics not if it is fed once or twice a week. The smallest corns are from the flordia keys while if Okeetee are the largest it goes to show that it is the region and therefore gentics that influence length not how often they are fed.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. fonzy

fonzy New Member

So how do I know if my snake is fat? Is there a certain length width I sould fallow?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. _Devastate_

_Devastate_ New Member

The general rule of thumb is to feed your snake prey that is no larger than the thickest part of its body once a week, this will adequatly nourish him and keep him healthy.

Here's what a fat snake looks like:

[​IMG]

12. fonzy

fonzy New Member

But that looks like a snake that just feed. So, if my snake looks like that even if I feed him 2 weeks ago, he is fat hu? Also, most every thing I read, even the guide to raising corn snakes that is on this website, says feed them twice a week, once on weds and once on Sat. So this is not correct?

13. _Devastate_

_Devastate_ New Member

you can do that but it means that they will grow larger and their life will be shorter, the difference between a fat snake a snake that has just been fed is that the fat snake just has one fat lump going all the way down its body to its tail, a normal snake after having been fed will just have a mouse-sized lump and even that should not be noticeably big if you are feeding it the right size prey.

14. fonzy

fonzy New Member

So what is the life of a snake that is feed twice a week to one that is feed only once? Also if my snake does get fat, do I just not feed him for a while? Or should I take him on a walk? lol :(

15. _Devastate_

_Devastate_ New Member

i've heard that powerfed snakes may only live 5-6 years whereas a normal healthy snake lives up to 25.
    just reduce the amount you're feeding, smaller prey, less often.

16. jammer

jammer Member

Fonzy, check the scales on your snake where he is biggest around. If he is overweight, the scales will appear to not be touching each other all the way. There will be a space all around each scale. I would advise feeding once a week for 1 year and older, every 6 days for 7 to 12 months, every 5 days for 3 to 7 months, and every 4 days for hatchling to 3 months. If your snake is fat, keep fedding him the same size mouse, but space the feeding out to every 10 to 14 days instead of every 7 days. I wouldn't stop feeding him for a while. You can also give him more execise.

17. fonzy

fonzy New Member

Well it does not look ike my snake is fat. I have been powerfeeding him though and he is growing really fast!! He has shed two times already, and I have not even had him for two months. So if he is growing so fast your saying that is life will not be as long?

18. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

You should NOT powerfeed. Cut back immediately. Powerfeeding can't stunt their growth (so I've heard) and will shorten their life span.

19. fonzy

fonzy New Member

why does it stunt their life span? I thought they are suppose to grow faster when powerfeeding them? Also, what is powerfeeding? Is two mice a week really poerfeeding?

20. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I think feeding every 4 days is powerfeeding. Yes, it does make them grow FASTER then normal but it stunts their growth and life span in the process. I can't tell you WHY or HOW. But it's a known fact. Maybe ask an expert, a breeder how and why.

21. fonzy

fonzy New Member

Cool, thanks I will stop feding him twice a week. I hope there is not any damage already... I have only been feeding him this way for not even two months. :?:

22. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Yeah he'll definitely be ok :( Don't even worry. I forget...what colour morph is he?

23. fonzy

fonzy New Member

really not sure!

You know I have looked up colour names before but there was no pictures. But my best guess is he is a Oketee, I dont even know if that is spelled right!! Can you tell me what an Oketee looks like?

24. fonzy

fonzy New Member

RE: really not sure!

Can anyone help me with this?

25. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Well my snake is an Okeetee. They're one of the natural colour morphs. They have orange backgrounds with red-ish saddles rimmed with black. This is my corn with me holding him.
    [​IMG]
    And this is a pic the breeder I got him from took.
    [​IMG]
    You'll notice his colours are much deeper and brighter in the second pic. But he actually looks more like the first pic.
    Hope this helps.