my own gator farm

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Ian L., Mar 21, 2012.

1. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

yup, thats a croc. american gators have very wide snouts and their "fangs" dont show when the mouth is closed usually.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Karlee

Karlee Member

I dont watch that show because it makes it look like reptiles especially arent made to be in captivity. While it is true not all are made for captivity, most are very good pets no matter their size if there is a good owner. I believe a lot of owners on that show are responsible with their pets, but that show makes it look like they are idiots. A saying I use is, "If your willing to take the risk, then you should take it. If not, dont get on the boat." I heard my grandmother use it a lot so I think I got it right, not entirely sure. Either way, I agree completely. Owning crocs and hots puts you at risk, and if you arent willing to die for it why own it?

dogking and Louie like this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

I think it's great that you've determined what you want to do, and are working toward it. I think your first step should be to determine what State you want to move to. To really have an alligator farm, you have to be in a climate where alligators naturally occur, practically speaking. You also have to be ok with what alligator farms do, which is raise alligators for hides and meat. If that's not your goal, then 'alligator farm' may not be what you're looking for. If you want to work with crocodilian conservation, you'll need a different way to make a living--Glades Herp, for example, handles crocs and gators, but they do a LOT of other reptiles as well. In the mean time, focus on your biology, genetics, math, and business studies. Yes, business--if you're going to make a living with crocodilians, the 'make a living' part has to be in the forefront, too. You'll need accounting, business management, and more.
    If you want to a herpetologist or zookeeper, that's a different story, but there's a LOT of competition there.

Louie likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Louie

Louie Member

The show is anti-exotic pets and that is what I do not like about it but must admit love it as far as find it interesting.

There are some exotic mammal owners in area but nothing large more like marmosets, skunks , pot belly pigs.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ian L.

Ian L. New Member

Alright everybody, I have finally decided what i am gonna do. I am going to buy a baby nile monitor. now i know that they are quite aggressive and that's exactly why i wanna get it. owing and caring for one will help me become more experienced w/ exotic and dangerous reptilians. they are as cool as crocs. i find it to be so relieving that California doesn't ban these amazing animals. :) wish me luck guys and i'll try to do as many updates on the Nile Monitor and my experience w/ it. xD

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Karlee

Karlee Member

That's great news! Keep us updated! If you dont, just remember I am a very persistant person!

12. Ian L.

Ian L. New Member

Well, i got some bad news now. Caring for a nile monitor is just too expensive. So, i moved on to snakes for i have begun to like em. My fav. is the green anaconda. :) but, my mom hates snakes and doesn't want one in the house :'( how can i convince her to let me get one. i told her that i want to become a dangerous and venomous reptile expert and if i'm gonna become one, then i'll have to start gaining some experience. it's always good to start young. she forces me to go to these christian groups even tho i'm an atheist... so i came up with a compromise saying, " Mom, i'll go to the christian group whenever you tell me to and will not complain at all. But, you have to allow me to get a green anaconda. You told me that if you have a dream, pursue it." Now i feel like the world has turned against me. plz help!!! i'm rlly desperate right now. and if you have nothing good to say like oohhh, your mom doesn't want u to get a snake then forget about it. NO! i will nvr let my dream vanish!!! NEVER!

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I may recommend something a little smaller for a beginner snake keeper, which will also give you some leverage with your mother. While Green Anaconda's are certainly fascinating and beautiful snakes, they are not for the average keeper... nor are they meant for a single keeper. The sheer size that these snakes are capable of attaining means that any interaction should be at least supervised by 1-2 additional adults. By the sounds of things, your mom/parents have little interest or passion to aid you in your keeping of reptiles, and I honestly would not trust a single keeper raising a green anaconda by himself. Regardless of how tame a reptile can become, that snake can easily overpower even the strongest man in the event of an accident as an adult. You will also need a fairly large enclosure and prey items will be a little more costly than other snakes..... though this is a minor detail in the scope of things. Safety for you and the animal is the #1 cocnern, and avoiding events that can decimate our hobby is crucial.

Start small, get experience, and try to become involved with herpeological societies, other large boid keepers, and educational situations. This will help you in the future with your ultimate goals of owning such a large animal, be it a massive boid or a croc. While it may be possible to start off with some of these animals, simple experience from other species can be life savers for you and the captive animal. Never let your big dreams die, but I may recommend jumping through some hoops first before going for the ultimate prize.

If you are looking for a larger snake that can maintain a manageable size for a single person and does not require quite so much space, I would look into Boa Constrictors. Blood and Short-Tail Pythons also attain very large mass but do not attain great lengths nor require as much space. These snakes fair very well in captivity, can be more easily accepted by your mother, and will aid in your learning of proper husbandry, behavior, body language, handling, etc etc.

14. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

for a first snake you should start with something smaller, that way you get to make sure you can handle snakes and if for some reason it doesnt work out a 4ft ball pythin is much easier to find a new home for than a 10ft boa or something larger.

plus if you make a mistake with a smaller species at most you have a small bite. with a larger species you run the risk of getting killed because you got in over your head and give the entire hobby a bad name. people getting in over their heads with large reptiles is why the government is trying to do all these snake bans