my new corn!!

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by guitrage, Oct 23, 2004.

1. guitrage

guitrage Embryo

I just picked up my new Okeetee from a Berkeley reptile store a couple of hours ago! She has beautiful, rich red saddles with bold borders and a bright orange background. She's about 15 inches and they told me she's about 3 months old. Just one concern (go figure). She seems to be spending most of her time burrowed in the substrate on the cold side of the tank, but I have a hide for her on the warm side (it's the only hide). Should I be coaxing her to hang out in the warm area, or should I just trust that she'll move there when she needs the heat?

I'm so excited! She's gorgeous!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. guitrage

guitrage Embryo

Nevermind; she's in the warm spot under the hide now. Thanks though.

I've read tons about caring for them and have had some in the past, but I'll still welcome any must-have advice.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Lexxicos

Lexxicos New Member

I just recently got a new corn too - its an Aztec Snow, and like you, I get concerned about it. One thing you said was that it was buried below the substrate on the cool side, and the only hide was on the warm side. Might I suggest you put another hide in there - on the cool side. That way, the snake doesn't have to be too warm or cold to feel safe. It can choose its temperature. Oh, and snakes differ, but you probably won't see your snake out too much the first day or two. Usually when the light is on they are hiding, and do not like coming out. However, at night when you turn the light off, about 15 minutes later they're out and about for an hour or two, then rest, and do it over again. Perfectly normal behavior.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. guitrage

guitrage Embryo

Thanks, that's reassuring

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wolfwood

wolfwood New Member

Congrats on the new corn.:p