My new cage, built by my loving hubby!!

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by drseuss727, Oct 8, 2007.

1. drseuss727

drseuss727 New Member

The lizard area is about 3.5 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep. The storage under it is about 2 feet tall. We had a 55 gallon for my big guy, then we adopted 2 more. They came in a wire cage (YUK!), and I wanted to buy a bigger aquarium- he said they were ugly! He designed it and built it himself. It is plywood (under the tile), oak (we stained it and polyurathaned it), glass, tile, and wire netting for the lights. At first, he thought this would be cheaper, but $400 (and many heated discussions) later (yes, he must REALLY love me...), this is it!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think? :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

its beautiful. love the tile on the background. looks like the subtrate is tile as well?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. NeroTheDark

NeroTheDark New Member

ya, it looks awsome, I especially like the geckos on the front :) . Are they the handles?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Kinda tall for a non-arboreal species.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

Wow! That definantly took some work, its awsume!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. drseuss727

drseuss727 New Member

Yes, substrate is tile. Geckos are the handles (only lizard ones hubby found!) and I think he got them at Lowes.

It is tall, I consulted reptile experts before building it, and they said that the dragons did not have to have it tall, but they would use any height we gave them. Their old wire cage was the same height, and they very much enjoyed climbing up high on their "stuff". I use a 160 watt watt floood made by T-rex- a UVB producing heat lamp- and the recommended distance from them and it is 18 inches. Subtracting this 18 inches from the 42 of the cage height, it leaves about 2 feet of climbing space for the dragons, which is perfectly appropriate!! I also enjoy the visual appeal of the taller cage.

Thanks for the positive comments...

12. RobertII

RobertII Well-Known Member

Looking at the workmanship I think it looks great!
    Your hubby did a good job.

Robert

13. jbgood

jbgood New Member

Nice viv. Looks like VERY nice craftsmanship... Your keeping 3 adult bearded dragons in there..?

14. shank_the_wiggles

shank_the_wiggles Member

That is very professional looking, you are a lucky woman.

15. mattdlite

mattdlite New Member

i hope you dont mean you put 3 dragons in there, bearded dragons are not made for bbeing housed together, its not a good idea at all. i cant tell though, the pics are too small to see in there real well. anyway, love the enclosure

16. drseuss727

drseuss727 New Member

Yes, house them together. No problems. They interact well and love on each other. I actually have more issues when they are apart!!

Yes, yes, I know... this is one of the BIG debates in the reptile world... I am sure there are many who do not agree with it, but I am okay with that. I do what is best for all of my critters!!

17. drseuss727

drseuss727 New Member

Is this pic big enough?

[​IMG]

18. drseuss727

drseuss727 New Member

Bigger picture of the handles too.

[​IMG]

19. mattdlite

mattdlite New Member

yes,that pic is nice. well i was just warning you about what they can do, there have been cases where they have turned on an instant, even after being together for years. but if u r confident, then do what u think is right. im just tellin u the risk, thats what were here for, to inform

20. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Because BDs aren't great climbers I'd be afraid of a fall causing injury. Thats just my opinion. They will climb to get to the warmer area but they wouldn't really use the height otherwise as their not arboreal, to me it's just better to provide the proper environment with the least amount of risk. It's really a personal choice. Also the minimum mvb distance is 12" from the dragon but 18 would be correct if measuring from the basking area.

21. shinchanyo

shinchanyo New Member

iiiitttt lllooookkkksss aaawwwsssooommmee,...,i wishn i had a habitat like that for my gecko...,im geting a beardy when my sister gives my back my $160 she ows me,

22. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

your putting 3 beardies in there? thats seems like it will be really crowded considering each beardie should have its own 8 square feet of floor space.

the loving on each other isn't what you think it is probably. its more of a sign of dominance.

23. jbgood

jbgood New Member

3 adult bearded dragons in a 4' x 2' base area....wow... It is a beautiful cage despite this one disturbing detail...

24. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

drseuss727 has clearly stated she understands that housing multiple dragons is a sore spot with a lot of folks but has decided it is right for her and her dragons. This post was to show off the beautiful enclosure her husband made, not to start a debate about how she keeps her pets. Should she want advice about that she will ask in the proper forum. Let's not get off track here, stick to the topic at hand please.

25. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

i agree ^. again, beautiful enclosure.