My Little Encounter (species identification?)

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by Chronofire, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Chronofire

Chronofire New Member

Hello all. I need a little help indentifying a snake I found... here's the story and description. :D

I was outside this morning cleaning chairs for a party later today, and when Iwas spraying the chairs down to scrub them,a little creature (and very little, might I add) came slithering under the chair I happened to be spraying. I quickly stopped spraying and put the hose down to see what it was. I thought it was a worm, but when I got a closer look, I saw it's little head and a tiny flickering forked tounge. I got a small plastic carrier, and tried to get him in it so I might not spray him while I was cleaning, but the little guy got away into the grass.

He was greyish, and on his neck was a white ring. As far as I could see, his tounge was a dark color. He was small, only about four inches at the most, and I assume that he is only a baby, being so small, but resembeled other garter snakes I have seen in body structure. Any ideas on what this little guy could be? I found him in my backyard, and I live in the middle of a city. (Providence, RI)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. deb02

deb02 Embryo

Sounds like a ringneck. I found several of them this year. But the ones I found had a yellow ring. I'm in NJ.