My Iguana..

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by WildTiger, Mar 20, 2013.

1. WildTiger

WildTiger New Member

12712_536621139698123_1922984087_n.jpg 734051_614565541903682_592708238_n.jpg Just wanted to share my Iguana. This is the first reptile I bought. I did alot of research before I got him from the pet store. He was sooo tiny and so skinny. He has grown alot since Oct 2012. I will post pics of him when I got him and now.. I am about 100% sure he is a he.. From everything i have read and looked up. He doesnt like to be held but will eat outta my hand so thats a start.

StikyPaws312 likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. supernova

supernova Member

Iguanas are awesome pets if you have the means to take care of them. "He" still looks a bit small to sex, It usually takes a year or more for the femoral pores to develop that cone that says boy. Usually found on the inner most femoral pores. I have had several Igg's that lived long healthy lives and have my baby girl Gorgee atm so if you have any questions or concerns just give a shout.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. WildTiger

WildTiger New Member

I was told that he is about 1-2yrs old. When i got him they said 3-4weeks. So honestly not sure how old he is.. He hates being held.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. supernova

supernova Member

To me he looks about 6 months old, Can you get a photo holding a common item like a dollar bill or ruler to indicate his size. You have to follow some pretty solid routines for them to be a pet that is more than looking at.
    I spend about 30 minutes a day hand feeding and being close to mine, Don't force them as it will slow them down on gaining trust. Just having your hand near with get them used to your presence and because of the parietal eye on the top of there head that detects shadows that they interpret as a threat from above do not try to come at them from anywhere above but rather below there head level if possible. Iguanas don't do well in aquarium type set-ups as most access is from the top. Housing all depends on what you do with your animal. My iguana is out nearly daily for several hours so i have her in a two level custom enclosure, Lower level has her water tub, water bowl, food bowl, and an area of aspen (never use ceder or pine) bedding for her potty area. The upper area is her basking area with a ceramic heat emitter and UVB (Replace UVB every 6 months even if it still lights). If you don't plan on interacting everyday they will need a large cage. The cage I had her in for the beginning of her adulthood was 6 ft(T) X 6ft(W) X 4ft(D). Just for the record on my personal experience the males can be total butts in breeding season and have been known to cause serious injuries from bites. Females will do this to but are normally more calm. Like I said this is just my experience and there are some males out there that total sweethearts.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. WildTiger

WildTiger New Member

He will get a cage when he gets bigger. He eats out of my hand. He was abused and very neglected when i got him.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. WildTiger

WildTiger New Member

My iguana is simply EVIL. I tried getting him out today and he hissed whipped his tail and tried to bite. I dont know what to do.. Ugh.

12. supernova

supernova Member

Patience, There are 3 kinds of iguana. 1) Touch me when I want to be touched 2) I'll close my eyes and hope you go away and 3) Don't ever touch me or I will eat you and your children. Hand feeding is the best approach, Let them gain trust but mind those fingers. My girl still gives me attitude sometimes, she just has her days. Remember that most of their natural predators come from above, Instincts never go away.

Reptile Savings likes this.
  13. WildTiger

WildTiger New Member

He is down right evil right now. Dont know if this mating time or not. He sets out on a bizzar day of whipping his tail around jumping up on his screen. Looking at himself in his mirror and Totaling displaying his flap. He doesnt want to be hand fed lately and is very grumpy

14. supernova

supernova Member

Mirror is a no go for iguana's they will fight with the igg on the other side of that strange wall until they eventually feel dominated and stressed leading to not eating resulting in illness or even death.

Reptile Savings likes this.