My Iguana needs help!

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by dragonfiend, Sep 9, 2004.

1. dragonfiend

dragonfiend Embryo

Hi everyone. I recently adopted a green iguana. He was said to be about 2 1/2 years old and he is around 50 inches in length. At first he was very aggressive and not accepting food. I have had him for about 3 months and now he eats from my hand and allows me to rub him (most of the time) He has never bitten me (yet) However My question is this: All of the spines that run down his back are very deteriorated. Some of them are gone completely and some are weak and broken and bent over. I was wondering if this is a sign of metabolic bone disease. He wasn't treated well under his previous care however now he has a room sized cage and tons of food, heat, and uvb. If you have any ideas what this is please let me know. Thanks

Pete

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

increase the amount of calcium in his diet and he should be fine. also try taking him outside and let him soak in the sun light

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i have never heard of them losing spines like that.

i notice you say that he has plenty of uvb - he also needs tons of uva as well as the proper diet.

please check out anapsid.com and make sure you've got the right diet for him.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dragonfiend

dragonfiend Embryo

Well he doesn't exibit any of the bone lumps or disfiguration of metabolic bone disorder yet. He is supplemented with reptivite and rep-cal each week. I won't up his calcium dosage because too much will land me with a hypercalcemic iguana. His previous owner kept him in a too small enclosure which I believe is where he developed his attitude. He wasn't even able to turn around in it! I have donated that cage to a smaller iguana who needed it and now he has a cage that I can enter through a door and walk around in with big tall perches and uva plus uvb lighting all over the place. Ill post a pic later. anyway is it possible for these spines to regrow or are they gone??

Pete

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

sounds like you have a great set up, there! and yeah i definately wouldn't increase his calcium if you're already giving him vite's.

whether the spines grow back or not depends upon why/how they are falling off. i wouldn't bet on them growing back, but since he's in good care now they might actually come back. i honestly don't know.

keep up the great work!