My Iguana cage.

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Calder, Sep 21, 2007.

1. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

calder, i am currently at work. i'll post them when i get home. they are mainly terrestrial species enclosures though.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Calder

Calder Embryo

vildotcom: Thanks for that!

Have painted the ceiling now, and testhanged two flourescent tubes.
    Took a bunch of photos with the worklight as a tripod and joined them up as a VR-panorama. My first panorama, so don't expect too much!

http://calder.hobby-site.com/images/TerrariumVR.mov

Hope you enjoy!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

That is going to be amazing when its done

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

right you are. what is that larger window looking into? i know the smaller window looks into the computer room.

calder: sorry about not posting that website. i can't find it anymore.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Calder

Calder Embryo

vildotcom: That's ok, the site might not even exist anymore... The large window? There is a window on the left with a view outdoors, and the noon-evening sun. Then the big one with the arches at the top, will be the vault. I will have a large tempered glass window here, and in the adjacent room is where I'll have my dinner table... I'll probably sit at the table a lot longer when it's done, just to watch the igs! ;-)

So, an update on the progress:
    My brother finally got his big-size imageprinter (1200mm wide) this week, so a few hours ago I was down at his shop working with the image and we printed out a test:
    [​IMG]

The quality looks great, so now I'll order the rest of the panorama! Hopefully I can get it done and up next weekend, when my son is at his mother.

A couple more pictures at my site (of course): http://calder.hobby-site.com/blog

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Calder

Calder Embryo

Wiee.. Got the wallpapers up!

[​IMG]

Working on some waterissues at the moment, but it's soon time for the waterfall!

12. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

progress looks good. i was wondering what you'd do with the walls.

13. Calder

Calder Embryo

Have been unable to reach reptilerooms.com, but here is some of the progress:

[​IMG]
    10 flourescent tubes, 3 UVB, 3 heatlights and 1 UVB if my kid gets a turtle.. The rainsystem has also been taken care of.

[​IMG]
    The waterfall needs to be coated in epoxy before I can start it up...

The images should be clickable, to get a bigger version!

More images and videos: http://calder.hobby-site.com/blog/index.html

14. Tiny_Hendrix

Tiny_Hendrix Member

Amazing! Wish I had the space and time to do all that!

One question, you said if your kid gets a turtle? Are you going to put a turtle with the iguanas? That could be bad, mixing species, and also turtles eat meat. How would you make sure your iguanas wouldn't eat the worms and other meat you feed to the turtle? Sure iguanas in the wild wouldn't eat meat, but these are captive and they are always curious.

15. unrealjill

unrealjill Well-Known Member

this is one of my favourite threads... all the work looks great so far Calder. look forward to more progress pics soon

16. Calder

Calder Embryo

I haven't decided yet if he's going to get a turtle, but it's better to prepare for it now, instead of trying to run new cables when the terrarium is up and running... When it comes to the meatportion of the diet, I would probably feed it live fish from the pond... I think it would be hard for the iguanas to catch live fish in the water.

17. MikeDr0

MikeDr0 New Member

man looking at this makes me want to kill myself cuz its soo cool.
    best ive ever seen great great great job!

18. Calder

Calder Embryo

The waterfall has been coated with two layers of epoxi now, no leaks yet!

[​IMG]

I filled up the bowl on top and plugged in the dimmer/fogger - looks really nice, hoping it looks that way after I get the waterpump running. My neighbour hasn't had time to connect all the electrics yet.

There are a few videoclips of the fogger in action here!

19. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

oh stop being so amazing with this tank XD it looks wonderful

20. benz

benz New Member

just want to say that this all looks sweeeeeeeeet!
    keep updating as i eagerly check to see your progress.
    what a great vision.
    good luck with all the building!
    peace

21. Calder

Calder Embryo

Finally gotten my Hibiscustrees. They don't look like much now, but they're already developing leaves.
    Some plants have been planted and I carried in some branches and screwed them up. The vines along the branches are plastic/silk and look beautiful. Unfortunately they will have to go before I buy some iguanas - I think they would eat them... So any ideas on safe vines are appreciated! :)

[​IMG]

Finally some sun shining in! The image should be clickable!

22. CoexistExotics

CoexistExotics New Member

Oh my god. I can't believe the work you have put into this cage, and it is looking so far beyond AMAZING!!! Great job! I wish I had the work ethic, space, and time to do something like that!!!

23. Calder

Calder Embryo

Thank you all for the nice comments! :)

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now. I should have both the terrarium and diningroom ready by April 25th, which - coincidentally - is my birthday! After that I only have the climatecontrol left, but that doesn't need to be ready until I buy some iguanas!

So, a little update on the progress:
    Got the glass for the vault installed this week. Made a huge difference in keeping the temps up of course. Have to make it easier to cool it though, it gets insanely hot in there. I have the thermostat at 25 degrees Celcius now. With around 8 degrees outside I got 30 degrees in there this evening, and a humidity of 86%...
    Had to open the door to the terrarium to get it down to 26...
    Will try switching of the heating tomorrow morning, and see where the temps will be during the day!

This weekend I will be putting up the stones around the vault (in the diningroom). Have gotten the bottom rows up and will probably get the rest up tomorrow!

[​IMG]

After that I'll spend the week finishing up the diningroom, and filling the creek with water and adding the substrate at the end of the week.

Also got a surprise lined up for you - hopefully it won't bring down my server... But I promise you'll like it! Hopefully.. ;-)

24. Calder

Calder Embryo

Just added the substrate in the terrarium, so now it's ready to be seen!
    Will have a bunch of pictures of it, on my site in about 30 minutes...

About the surprise!
    I bought a webcam and put that in the terrarium, so I could use it as a wallpaper on my computer at work - but I thought why not share it with everybody!

So at 08:00CET the webcam will switch on for all to see, after that it will be live between 08 and 21 everyday, atleast until I get the iguanas. Then I will have to make sure it doesn't stress them to have a moving webcam mounted in the ceiling!
    Yes, it is a Pan & Tilt camera, so you'll have plenty to look at!

So in 8 hours, you can go to: http://calder.hobby-site.com/indexcam.html and use the Login: reptilerooms
    and Password: reptilerooms
    to view my terrarium!

It works best with MS Explorer, and you will need to install a signed ActiveX control to view the feed.
    At the moment the page will not load, since the camera is powered off, but I'll try to find a work-around for that!

[​IMG]

25. CoexistExotics

CoexistExotics New Member

Wow... that is just phenomenal. I wish I was able to do that! Sadly, I do not own a house, and even if I did, I probably wouldn't have the skill to do that!