My green tree frog has not eaten in over a week

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by BabyAmi5118, Oct 21, 2006.

1. BabyAmi5118

BabyAmi5118 Embryo

Back in July my roommate and I bought a green tree frog and we've been feeding him crickets. We both went home last weekend and I took him home with me on thursday night and fed him on friday and he ate 3 crickets. On Sunday, i bought him a new cage that had more room and more leaves so he could have more room. After putting 3 crickets in there on Sunday night, all 3 escaped within 30 minutes. On Monday, i put Ami back into his old cage and gave him another 3 crickets and he would not eat them. I left him in there with them until Tuesday hoping he would eat them but they died and he hadn't moved from the same spot. I put him back into his new cage and he hopped around and seemed happy. On Wednesday i put him into the old cage and give him 4 crickets and left him in there until late thursday night and he still did not eat them. I now have him in the old cage with 6 crickets and he has not moved off of the side of the cage to show an interest in the crickets. I'm worried about him!!! Does anyone know what to do???

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

What has happened is that you totally stressed the poor dude out with all that moving. Taking him home for the weekend would be pretty stressful. Then moving him back and forth from his new cage to his old cage like 3-4 times would totally stress the crap out of him. Then keeping him with 6 crickets after he is totally stressed, will just continue the stressing.

He needs a good week of quiet and no crickets. Leave him in one tank, pick one, and leave him for a week. Just mist and change the water. Dont offer any crickets. Than after a week of him settling back in, offer some crickets.

And pick the tank you are going to keep him in for awhile. Moving him around causes major stress.

Good luck

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BabyAmi5118

BabyAmi5118 Embryo

Thank you so much!!! i was so worried about the little guy!!! he's my little buddy that helps me study when i'm stressed out!!!! Do u have any advice on food for him??? We buy crickets and keep them in a container but in a few weeks most of the crickets are dead. As college students, we dont have enough money to be buying crickets for them to die... any advice on this one???

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

No problem. Do you feed your crickets with anything. They really need to be fed something to stay alive. My crickets still only last around 2 weeks or so. Just dont buy so many. Your frog only needs to eat about 4 crickets everyother day if it is fullgrown.

I use this http://www.flukerfarms.com/index.asp?PageA...D&ProdID=25 to feed my crickets. Put about 3 cubes in for the crickets. When they look dried up, put another 2-3 in and so on. You can get it at most petstores.

Crickets should be the staple diet of your frog. You can offer waxworms in a dish, but only 1-2 as a treat, like once or twice a month. They are very high in fat and not so nutricious.