My frog is barking!

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Lindsey, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Lindsey

Lindsey New Member

i recently bought a second whites tree frog to keep Kirby company and the last week i have heard one (i think its kirby) barking in the evening! do they always bark, or is it just when they are mating or something.
    i have no idea on the sex of my frogs.
    does anyone know about this? i am just excited to hear my reptiles talking, lol

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lestat

lestat Moderator

When frogs call, it's usually a mating instinct. However, they don't necessarily ever get around to the actual mating part. They require a very specific environment to breed. If they don't breed, there's not necessarily anything wrong with their set up. It just isn't ideal for mating. All of my adult frogs will croak on occasion. It means they're happy. :D

(Frogs also have distress calls, but you'll generally only hear that if they're under attack, or think they are. If you pick them up and they croak, that's what's going on.)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

That happened to me to, i had a pair of green treefrogs in my bedroom and they didn't stay in there long lol. They woke me up one night at about 2:30 and about every other day they croak for about five minutes and they are LOUD.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lestat

lestat Moderator

I had that problem with Pacific Tree Frogs last year. I had 12 of them, at least half of them were male. We lived in an apartment where the bedroom and the dining room (where the PTFs were) were on opposite sides of the apartment. Even so, my partner could not sleep at all because they would croak for hours every night. It didn't bother me at all. I slept right through it. But PTFs can be heard for miles in the wild, so I'm sure my neighbors were happy when I got rid of those frogs. I hear croaking from most of my other frogs on a regular basis, but after the Pacific Tree Frogs, no one complains about them. lol

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JunePune

JunePune Embryo

My White is definately a boy! Male Whites croak for more than 10 barks in a row- and if they're anything like mine will shout very loud every day at least twice a day- often 2am and 5am!!! Female Whites dont bark for so long and often don't make any noise at all. Junior often croaks at me when i am feeding him too, and also like to have a conversation with my hairdryer... or the hoover...or when certain tv programmes are on!! There are some videos on u-tube too- where a guy makes a nosie and has a convo with his frogs!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mango95

mango95 New Member

ooh my gosh the same thing happened to me. My frog Kermit, i love his name, always croaks at like 11:30 at night!!! He doesn't stop for a good 5 minutes. We had to move him out of my room and put him in the basement next to the fishes. He loves to watch them but at least we can't hear him croak anymore and he is perfectly fine down there.

12. supernova

supernova Member

My Daughter has two whites tree frogs, green/male and blue/female. They love to rev up when they hear the vacuum or washer in the spin cycle. She also hasa recording of a mating call and they absolutely love that.

Seems loud repeating sounds get them going.