My first crested!!! + pics, question on morph

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Seattlesprsonics, May 11, 2007.

1. carpejugulum

carpejugulum Embryo

My PetSmart gutloads them, that's why we can't sell them pre-packaged.

Just ask someone who works there, if they don't gutload or the crickets are pre-packaged, you'll need to do it yourself.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Gut-loading has to be done prior to feeding, so gut-loaded crix from a store is fine if they're being fed straight away, but if they aren't fed for a day or so, the gut-load/nutrition is gone...
    So unless you're doing a daily trip to the pet store for crix, you're better off being set up to gut-load yourself.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. DocLeo

DocLeo New Member

Petco doesnt Gutload...i know that for a fact since i work there....well worked there i just put in my 2 weeks

It doesnt really matter if petstores do or not though...unless you plan on feeding that day. after a day or so anything that was gut loaded will be gut unloaded...if you get my drift.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. routineriot

routineriot Embryo

i know for a fact that some do. i work at one as well. mine does.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

my point. SOME DO. and i stated that the ones here DO NOT. yet everyone seems to want to argue over it when none of them live here and could not possibly know..

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

The real point is; it doesn't matter if they do or don't, since the benefit is gone by the following day...
    Any "argument" over whether or not a store gut-loads is futile.

12. dumerillis_1986

what if he just plans on feeding them as soon as he gets home with them the day he buys them and making a couple trips a week. then yes it does matter.

13. munchkin

munchkin Member

But if he plans on only making a couple of trips a week- say a wednesday & a saturday & only buying enough for one feed... Where's the harm in gutloading them yourself for 24 hours & feeding the crestie on a thursday & a sunday?!?!?

Even if the store does gut load them- I would still prefer to do it myself for 24 hours before feeding. Just to make sure they are being gutloaded with exactly what I want them to be gutloaded with :)

The small amount of crickets that a crestie eats anyway- it almost seems pointless to keep running back to the store. You could buy quite a few crickets, keep them & gut load them yourself- they would last you a while :)

14. artpac2004

artpac2004 New Member

No pet stores do not gut-load crickets. I buy all my Crestie food and Cricket Gutload from

Actually, I work at Petco, and we feed our crickets fluckers gutload, Petco does gutload their crickets, and flucker cricket quencher which also helps gut load them. As far as feeding them vegatables or anything like that, we dont do.

15. Seattlesprsonics

Seattlesprsonics New Member

Alright guys, lets cool it with the debating in my topic...lol. But anyways, I dunno, whenever I buy my crickets or superworms, I just throw a bunch of pieces of bread in there with them to feast on. And then when the bread gets pretty hard, I replace it with fresh bread. Thats sufficient enough gut loading right?

16. dumerillis_1986

Go to page 1 where i already answered your gut-loading question with a link..... don't know if you missed

17. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

The purpose of gut-loading your feeders is to get the required nutrition into your crestie... I'm thinking bread would not meet a crestied dietary needs...
    Bread might be fine to keep the crix going until you need them, but it's not full of nutrients, vitamins, minerals...

18. Seattlesprsonics

Actually my crested has only been eating baby food. Normally the superworms I give to my tokay are gut loaded on bread.

19. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

What are you supplementing the babyfood with?

20. Seattlesprsonics

Well maybe once a week I'll mix in some of the repticalcium with it, but thats about it...Should I be doing more??? I do have a bottle of CGD, you think thatd be ok to mix in?

21. dumerillis_1986

I just feed CGD and each crestie gets some crickets once a week with some calcium d3 supp

22. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

CGD is not meant to be supplemented with anything else. That is why it is a complete diet. You can feed solely that and they'll be fine. You don't need to use baby food at all. You COULD use crickets for growing babies, but CGD by itself is fine.

23. ruksgotthebucks

ruksgotthebucks New Member

agreed...cgd is fine by itself,occasional crix help out,baby food as a staple is a bad idea no matter what you mix in it.....he is underweight,i would monitor his feeding.....ehhh gutloading is extremely important and bread wont do it,thats like giving bread to your crestie :D you got a great deal at 60 bucks i paid 50 for my pinstripe harlequin.....lets see some updated pics!!!

24. kephy

kephy Moderator

I use CGD exclusively, a crestie can do perfectly fine on CGD alone if you want to take the guesswork out of the feeding. I give my gecko some crickets or mealworms every great once in a while for fun, but that's more for me than him. :D

25. Seattlesprsonics

Well, I think my guy is starting to do real good. I find him exploring more, and hanging out in new spots, so I know he's just about used to his home. He's been eating around the same time every day, and has actually been eating very well too, I can already start to see him beefin up a little. My guess is that since he was housed with another sub adult in a pretty small tank at the place I got him, he probably just wasnt getting all the food he wanted, and maybe the other guy was getting most of it. But, regardless, he seems to be doing perfectly fine, and as soon as I have a good opportunity to take some nice pics, I'll do so!