My Faux Rock Background

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by noahboa1, Jan 17, 2010.

1. noahboa1

noahboa1 New Member

Hello guys, finally finished my faux rock background project. I will not be using it because I am selling it for a little extra dough (Hoping to get a gargoyle gecko).

Anyways what I did is I took a 4'x2' 1/4'' thick Polystyrene board and cut it to the dimensions of the tank.
    Then glued rock ledges creating a stairway up to a basking ledge.
    I then proceded to glue rock outcroppings elswhere for a more natural feel.
    When all of that was over with I grouted it with sanded tan colored grout, when that dried I put on two more coats.
    After that dried I painted it with a non toxic acrylic paint.
    finally I sealed it with Mod Podge and an acrylic sealer.

Here or some pictures of the finished product.

My gecko Apollo climbing up the wall.
    [​IMG]

A picture of under the rock stairway.
    [​IMG]

Apollo on the basking ledge.
    [​IMG]

An overview of the staircase to the rock ledge
    [​IMG]

Well thats all for that. I have a rock hide for the enclosure that isn't in the pictures.

I hope you enjoyed looking at my rock wall. :)

Your Friend, Noah

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hallow

Hallow New Member

That looks like he is really enjoying it, good work! But aren't you worried that the sealer might hurt him?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. unrealjill

unrealjill Well-Known Member

Greta job Noahboa. Fake rocks walls always seem to go down well with leos.

Hollow - the sealant won't cause any harm so long as the whole thing has been aired for a minimum of a week before being put in the tank. It is the same with all paints etc that people use in decorating tanks... so long as you allow it time to cure and air you should be fine.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Wow it looks great!! And now that you're selling that one that your leo loves so much (she's a beauty too btw!) you're just going to have to make her one of of own as well, lol.

And I agree with jill but don't use mold-inhibiting paint - it continues to let off fumes/chemicals (usually when it gets wet) so try to stay away from those type of grout (unless you're sealing it with a safe sealant).

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. unrealjill

unrealjill Well-Known Member

Good point Stiky, thanks.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Gervais88

Gervais88 Embryo

looks geat man. i did mine pretty much the same way just a little bigger. i used 2" foam and layers of 1/4" for edges and depths. covered it all in cement and sealed. the cement layers came out with nice colors and shading so i didnt paint. the dimension of the enclosure is 49 1/2" wide, 36" deep, and 80" tall. hope you guys like it.

Attached Files:

12. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Wow it looks awesome! I love when people do their own rock walls, they look so good! What are you going to put in that tank?

13. Gervais88

Gervais88 Embryo

ive got RTB in it. seems to enjoy it

14. noahboa1

noahboa1 New Member

That's Great, I'm making a larger one for my Bearded dragon in her custom 90 gallon. I'll post a construction guide while i'm
    building it.