my cricket enclosure

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by beefcake, Mar 5, 2009.

1. beefcake

beefcake Member

[​IMG]

gotta feed the bearded dragon somehow. got at least 1500-2000 1/2 inchers in there with about 20-30 adults breeding theres a water dish with toilet paper and a food dish with gutload and a laying box all under the egg crates. the setup is in a trash can with a heat lamp keeping everything around 87-88 F

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

Excellent.

Good luck!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bruno

bruno Moderator

That sounds fine.
    Just remember to keep the floor clean and above all DRY, any dampness or humid floor will wipe them out, humidity kills.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. rofiudafo

rofiudafo New Member

how do ya'll keep them clean? how often do you clean them out?

this is my set up, but it seems the crickets die. or i dunno, just hard to clean out really....

[attachment=212:setup1.jpg]

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

Looking at that pic, I suspect the floor area is TOO small for 1500 + crickets, the overcrowding is killing them off.
    What is the floor area LxW in inches.
    I used a 3ft x 1ft fish tank with a 60w CHE and plenty of ventilation and had no problems.
    I used Oat bran as substrate and simply used a pan and brush to clean out, making sure the crix got of the pan first .... :rolleyes:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. rofiudafo

rofiudafo New Member

ive only kept 500 in mine. is there any good way to set up the egg cartons/paper towel rolls?

12. beefcake

beefcake Member

just throw the egg cartons in.. the more cartons/rolls you have the more surface you have. thus decreasing the die offs.. horizontal floor space doesnt matter bruno if you have vertical space and alot of surface area

just make sure you have good ventilation rofiudafo

13. bruno

bruno Moderator

First my apologises to rofiudafo, two of my brain cells collided and caused a malfunction :rolleyes:
    I should have realised there were 2 different posts.
    Beefcake is right the more the better regards egg cartons and keep well ventilated.

I have to disagree with you Beefcake regards floor area, guess we will not agree so lets leave it at that.
    From MY experience the bigger the floor the better as well as loads of vertical stuff. It worked better for me.

I was getting through over 1000 a WEEK at one time, so they didn't die off naturally anyway :)

14. Jayme

Jayme New Member

As long as temperature, humidity, and ventilation were satisfactory, I had an excellent die off rate. Maybe one or two a week. I gave them plenty of hiding and climbing space via egg cartons and empty toilet paper rolls. Then for food oatmeal and wheat bran, with carrots for moisture. I switched out the carrots when they got too shriveled, and simply took a dry paper towel to wipe up any corpses, feces, or molts.

In satisfactory conditions if you're still having a high die off rate, it could be from age, or you might want to try a different supplier or give them a larger container.