My Crestie Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by mnh01, Dec 16, 2004.

1. mnh01

mnh01 Embryo

Hello People,

Well, I am back again. For those of you who know me I will do my best this time to make my question short and sweet this time.

I am more than a little concerned about my gecko now. He hasn’t eaten in a week and I am looking for some friendly advice. Normally I will feed him a small dish of baby food and live crickets every two days.

I have had him for over a year now and two weeks ago, I tried to feed him live crickets in his cage. It took him a week to eat 4 of them. So I got a new batch of the crickets, since I ran out, and put them into his “normal” feeding cage. (Which is outside of his home.)

Now he won’t eat any of them. I used up a whole box trying to get him to eat. What should I do next? Should I try to feed him some other type of food, or should he see a vet?

- He is somewhat lethargic, but his poop seems normal.
    - Cage sits about 67degrees on the cool side, 74degrees on the hot side.

***If someone feeds their crestie something other than live crickets, please let me know.***

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

.....what's the humidity at? when's the last time he shed? how many crix did you try & give him @ once?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mnh01

mnh01 Embryo

The humidity is normally sitting at 50% during the day. When he gets sprayed with water, it jumps to around 75% for a few hours. I also used to have a small little waterfall in his cage, which kept the humidity around a constant 60%.

When I feed him, I put him in a separate cage and give him 6 crickets. He used to eat them all really quickly. Sometimes 2 at a time.

His last shed was about 4 days ago.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

you got me......everything sounds normal to me, that's very odd for him to just stop like that, was he spooked by something maybe?

.....exactly how many days has he gone without food?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mnh01

mnh01 Embryo

Last week, it took him 5 days to eat 6 crickets in his cage. So on Saturday I cleaned his cage, put in new substrate and threw the rest of the crickets away. On Sunday I bought a new box of “med/lrg” crickets and he has yet to eat a single one. So it would be save to say he is going on 5+ days without eating anything but mango babyfood. ☹

I am thinking I might go get 1 more box of crickets and see if he is interested. If not, I guess a DR. visit is in order... before anything terrible happens. I am out of ideas.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

try smaller crix also try a "smoothie" mixed of chicken or turkey baby food, fruit and vegetable baby food, mashed crickets, and mashed mealworms and see if he will eat that. i have used that on a friends crested and it is eating fine now

12. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

aaaah, substrate. what are you using? didn't realize you were using any til youi said you cleaned it out & replaced it.

13. mnh01

mnh01 Embryo

I got his substrate from the reptile guy at the pet store. It is called Jungle Mix. And I bought some cleaning products for the glass in his cage as well. The substrate is made by ESU REPTILE. The Spray is made by ZOO MED. It is used as an “antibacterial cleaner, disinfectant, and deodorizer for terrariums and small animal cages”

Check out the two links below if it will help you with a visual. I took some pictures of my gecko and thru them up on a web sight I am working on. Use the following link to see the substrate pict… http://mnh01.home.comcast.net/substrate.htm

Use this second link to see what I use to clean his cage. http://mnh01.home.comcast.net/spray.htm

14. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

I've used wipe out before too.....you gotta watch how soon you put him back in the viv after usimg that stuff tho, it tells you, you should wait an alotted time (10-15 mins.) i think.

as far as the substrate goes.....never heard of it, but maybe he got a mouthful & that can be a bad sign for him if it's impaction.....I'd monitor him pretty close, if he don't eat anything in the next day or so.....or poop.....you'd better get him to a vet.