My Crested

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by makana, Feb 16, 2005.

1. makana

makana Embryo

pics are at http://www.geocities.com/makana_llane/

Does anyone know what morph he is? I was wondering if crested ceckos hatch out specific morphs depending on the breeding stock like leos. I was also hoping for advice on taming my crested. All my leos were easy to tame but the crested is not. If he knows im watching him he won't move at all. He only comes out of hiding when it is completly dark. If he sees me looking at him he hyperventalates. When I do handle him he spends the whole time trying to get away. Im not sure what to do. All my leos have been curious about people looking in and come out to see whats going on. This poor little guy is scared to death.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I must say, he looks gorgeous!

Not good with colors, but he looks patternless rust, orange, or red. Also has some dalmation spots in him too :wink:

They can hatch specific morphs dependinh on parents, but overall it can be quite random. There aren't really any proven recessive traits in the R. ciliatus species.

He looks relatively young, give him some time. My crestie only moves and hunts in complete darkness as well. I mean PITCH black darkness. Give him time, and slowly introduce hom to the hand.

A great way to get him started to trusting you is to offer his favorite fruit flavored babyfood to him out of the cage and/or by finger. If he doesnt readily lick it, put some on his nose. He should start licking, and realize that the finger/hand brings delicious stuff!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. makana

makana Embryo

Thanks for the tip I'll have to try that. I just fed him crickets and he won't move with the light on even when they walk on him.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

try a red bulb (light), at night.....you'll be able to watch him.....& he won't see the red light.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

Beautiful little baby!

Also, what size cage and stuff do you have him in? Maybe from the pictures, I couldn't notice .. but Crested like to climb, and it didnt seem like you had too many tall leafy things for him to climb on, if he had the correct set up, he would probably settle down faster and become comfortable. We have two crested, and their cages comprise of mainly LOTS of leafy areas, vines, and their cages are TALL, each one has a hide on the ground, but I never see them anywhere near it.

Again, the pictures could ave just missed the whole area ..

-Julez

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. makana

makana Embryo

His tank is 40 gal. I put a 20 on top of another to make it. There is a silk plant the is the full height, one thats a little over half the height, and a live fig tree that is about half height. I took out the ground hide 'cause he didn't use it. I've had him for a couple months now but his enclosure keeps changing. Hopefully he'll seddle better now that its complete. How much should he eat. Compared to my leo he hardly eats at all. I feed him baby food one day and crickets or meal worms the next. Sometimes he doesn't seem to touch it at all. At most hell eat maybe three crickets.

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

How old is he?

It's hard to tell from the pics, if hes still young the large cage could be stressing him. Or it could just be the new enclosure changes.

Where did you get him from?

Some breeders only feed babyfood, so the gecko is less interested in crickets. I wouldnt feed mealworms much, they have a poor meat to shelll ration, I would only go for crickets. Just try giving more babbyfood mmore often, especially is he is older now.

What kinds of babyfood to you have to offer?

13. Morkai

Morkai New Member

try silkworms, my 3 cresties go nuts over em :(

14. makana

makana Embryo

He is about 8 months old. I have given him peach and apricot baby food as well as fresh peach and mango. Unfortuneatly only mealworms and crickets are available to me. I'll have to look on the internet and see if I can find silkworms. How about that powdered crested gecko diet? is it any good?

15. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Yes its great, i would use that and chicken or turley babyfood for protein with the fruits. He may bea bit reluctant, just mix em with the fruit :wink:

Only use crickets for now on, and for silkworms http://silkwormfarm.com or http://mulberryfarms.com has them. They are a tad expensive, but wortha try. Need speical food for them too