my corn and leo MITE have a problem HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by eunice, Oct 11, 2004.

1. eunice

eunice Embryo

I have a cremesickle corn. I bought it yesterday evening and when I got home I noticed that it have black dots around its eyes and a couple under its neckline. I was wondering what I could do for it. The guy that takes care of them gave me a solution to spray the tank with and he said to spray some in my hand and run the snakes body with it. I did that but now the snake is not very lively today at all. Im wondering what I could do to solve this problem I have washed the snake it regular water and everything. I then did something very stupid I moved the snake not thinking whatsoever to my leos cage because the bulb blew in the snakes cage so I swapped them for about 2 hours!! I KNOW this was stupidd if the snake had mites it was a serious mistake. What do I need to do to cure my snake and its cage and the leo and its cage to prevent the leo from getting mites. I sprayed the leos cage but not the leo. PLEASE HELP...this was a bonehead move and my animals mean alot to me I have sand substrate in both cages. I know some dont agree with it but I have never had any problems whatsoever and to many myths go around about correct substrate and everything about the impaction of the animal. Can I clean the sand some how and heat it up in the oven to dy so i dont waste it I just bought it yesterday?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Lexxicos

Lexxicos New Member

Calm down. Mites are not fatal, they are like the reptile equivalent of lice.

*sigh* I'll just quote from "Reptiles and Amphibians for Dummies":

Treatement must include getting every single might off your reptile and out of his enclosure. Mites have been implicated in the spread of IBD, the neurological disease also called stargazing...

You can try the warm water soak technique for snakes or lizards. This technique uses a series of warms baths to drown some of the mites while you physically remove the others. While your herp is soaking, use a dampened cotton swab to remove the mites around the eyes. While your herb is soaking, clean his cage throroughly with hot water and soap. Rinse the cage and dry it. Repeat the process daily for five days, and then again in a week for three more days...

...Your veterinarian has access to drugs that are very effective against mites, and a variety of ways to administer them. She'll probably recommend ivermectin as a dilute spray. You spray the animal, being very careful around his eyes, and spray the cage as well.

There. I hope that helped. Good luck with the mites and go see the vet![/i]