My Cal king...

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by leodeal384, Oct 24, 2005.

1. leodeal384

leodeal384 Member

I took some pictures today and figured I would show you guys. They aren't the best, but show my snake good enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like him!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I love the striped tail. Very pretty :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

are cal kings aggressive at all seeing how their cannibals and stuff. i thought about getting one but decided on a BP instead

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, being cannibals is a side-effect of them being snake eaters. It's not that they intentionally seek out their own species in order to eat them. If they come across another snake (including rattlesnakes) they can take down, and they're hungry, they'll go for it. If that happens to be another Cal King, well, that's just the way it is.

But no, I've never seen an agressive Cal King (not one agressive towards people anyway). That isn't to say that they don't exist, but every one I've seen hasn't been.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. leodeal384

leodeal384 Member

He gets cranky and has struck at me before, but with his mouth closed. I have seen a bunch of Cal Kings and none of them have really been mean. I wanted to get a new one but I got a ball python instead.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. susyq

susyq Member

12. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

nice snakes susyq, your comp looks a little messy thought but hey so is mine

13. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Very nice snakes leodeal and susyq :p

14. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

I just noticed something cool leodeal. The mark looks like a happy face on the middle scale on your snakes head in that one pic :p

15. leodeal384

leodeal384 Member

Yeah i know...if you look further down his neck it looks like a devil face too. Its in white with black background. I noticed the smiley face when I was looking at him before I got him and said ok well between the tail and his head I gotta have him.

16. reako45

reako45 Member

leodeal, that's the most interesting pattern on a Cal King I've ever seen. Not quite banded and not fully striped. Susyq, both snakes impressive. Look like thet're fully adult.

reako45

17. Follow_the_lies

Follow_the_lies New Member

Aww, he's so cute! He looks like my snake when he was a baby! *cries like an old lady looking at baby pictures* Awesome markings too. How old is he?

18. leodeal384

leodeal384 Member

Not exactly sure on the age...no clue really. He is about 18" long though.

19. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

Ok I really have to ask now that I have seen those adult King pics. My Cal King is about 2 or 3 yrs old and Really long, like 3 feet. But he is skinny as a twig almost, and the store I got him from said he would get a girth like a corn snake, well my snake can fit in my friends corn shedding about 3 times around. He is also snippy with me, is there possibly something wrong with him? I never thought there was until seeing that Cal. Kings do get thick.

20. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Sounds like he's underfed to me....

21. leodeal384

leodeal384 Member

Yeah he does sound a little underfed. What are you keeping him in?

22. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

He is in like a 75 gallon tank. May not be the exact right size but its large. He gets fed an adult mouse that he eats with no problem normally every other week. It depends on if you can still see the bulge in him. You can't see any of his bones nor can you feel them when holding him. He is really strong for his size. Could he maybe be a runt? Or should I try uping the amount of times he is fed?

23. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I don't know about upping the amount he eats. If you are able to see a lump when he swallows the prey, then he shouldn't be underfed. Hell I feed my corn every other wek and he's quite big. Yours may just be a runt I suppose. You sure he's really that skinny? Maybe you could post a pic.

24. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

I don't have one comparing him to my hand or anything. I picked him up right after the message and if you measured acrossed his tummy its just under an inch wide. [​IMG]

25. Pebo

Pebo New Member

he looks so pretty. :>