MrFrigels

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by MrFrigels, Oct 11, 2004.

1. MrFrigels

MrFrigels Embryo

My Crestie dosnt seem to move around at night. He will come out of his hiding spot and just bask under the heat lamp all night. Just wondering if this is normal or if it could be a bad sign. He does hunt when I give him crickets, but I cant tell if he's eating the baby food.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Ok, first quetion is what kind of basking lamp do you have? It had better be a red light or you won't see much movement. And second, I'm hoping the only reason your using is lamp is because your house temp goes below 65 at night. And I'm also hoping that the temp doesnt exceed about 83 F. They can die of stress.

As for babyfood, try giving it to him by hand or plastic spoon or something. He will spell it up close or you can put a little on his nose. Onnce he tastes it, I gurantee he'll love it!

Quick review, temp can't get over 83 and not below 65. Day temps preffereably should be between 75-79, while nightime is 66-76.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Morkai

Morkai New Member

Also note if he is a baby he's gonna be more interested in the crickets than the baby food. They tend to shift to fruit as they get older. Mine didn't really start eating it till about 5 months old.

Try different types of food too. Against all "common" rules mine hate bananas - they refuse point blank to touch them but stick peaches under their nose and they about try to lick the skin off my finger ;)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MrFrigels

MrFrigels Embryo

thanks for the replys. it defnetaly is a red lamp. The temp is usually in the 70's day and night with the help of the lamp, although sometimes during the day it can get over 80, thats another thing I worry about, but its pretty uncommom now.
    I wan kind of thinking that if he wasnt eating the baby food he wasnt getting enough calcium and his bones werent strong enough to move. And I tried putting some on my finger, he licked it once then ran away. I was suprised he stayed that long, usually he runs at the sight of me. Actually I just kinda relized that if he can run from me, he's probably fine.
    Another quick question, I play music pretty loud and I was wondering how the sound would affect him?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

That is prolly a good idea why he's so skittish. Where he came from and in the wild there are very few noises. He's MrFrigels isn't used to this so this basically scares the crap out of him. I would either move him to a new room or tone it done some if I were you. If you don't take action there can be some serious problems in the future.

Why don't you try kepping a calcium dish in there? Like leopard geckos they can seek out calcium if in need. I've seen mine take a couple licks from his dish now and then.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Morkai

Morkai New Member

I had a red lamp for a while and now I don't bother any more. The room they live in doesn't get below 65 at night (which is the rare occasions I leave the ac vent open) it usually sits at the 70-75 mark. I would be tempted to not use the lamp at all during the day.

Get some rep-cal and either provide in a dish or preferably dust his crickets with it before you feed him. Mixing some in his baby food will help but dusting his crix is even better.