Mountain Dragon Help Needed

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Ltltiger, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Ltltiger

Ltltiger Embryo

:D I have a Horned Mountain Dragon that I have had for about 4 months. and he has eatten fine until recently. He used to eat 3-4 cricketts every other day but he hasn't been eating very much lately. Maybe about 1-2 per week. He is still playing and does not act sick. Do they hibernate or something. My vet said if he isnt acting sick not to worry. Anyone had any similar experience?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. clamper

clamper New Member

a lot of reptiles will remain active but refuse to eat its like a hibernation I agree with your vet if he is sick he will let you know

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Keep a close eye on your HMD.... if the eyes start to appear sunken or it starts to appear skinny go the the vet quickly!!!! Most HMDs in the pet trade are wild caught and can be loaded with parasites so your vet should really do a fecal exam to rule that out as a possiblility. Another thing for him to look for is, if it's a female, any signs of it being egg bound.
    Some other signs that it is not doing well:
    It starts spending all of it's time on the ground and not returning to it's branches frequently.
    It's color becomes very dark and dull. (A healthy HMD will sometimes go to a dark brown but still keeps a lot of contrasting "speckling" in it's coloring.)
    How is your cage set up? (ie: lighting, humidity levels, and heating?)
    Do you have running or moving water for your HMD?
    Most HMDs will not drink unless the water is moving. Waterfalls or "bubbler" bowls work great. You should also be spraying the cage at least once a day, even with the moving water you will see them drink water off the leaves and side of the tank.
    Have tried offering other food items? Our male likes to switch between super worms, crickets, and night crawlers. You should keep a steady supply of night crawlers around... they are an excellent source of calcium and most HMDs seem to love them.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ltltiger

Ltltiger Embryo

My HMD {his name is De'mon} is bright green with speckels of gold. He does go onto the ground but then will go right back up into the trees I have set up for him. As far as his habitat I have a 55 gallon tank it contains four logs set up wall to wall like trees with lots of leaves to hide in. (the foliage is artificial but he seems not to notice). I have lined the bottom with reptibark that the pet store recommended. In one corner I built him a "mountain" out of shale, it goes from the floor to about 4 inches from the top of the tank. That is the side of the tank where the heat lamp is so he can bask on the rocks and then go to the other side where it is cooler if he wants. On the cool side is where his water supply is I installed a waterfall for him it is large enough for him to get into the base of the falls and soak but it provides lots of fresh running water. I keep the temp between 70 and 77 degrees. and the humidity at about 85%. I have tried feeding him fruits and lettuce and veggies but he never would eat any of that he has only ever eatten cricketts for me. I bought all kinds of different worms and he just wasnt interested. I had him checked for parasites when I first got him and he was clean and deff male. Maybe I am worring over nothing but the little guy has captured a huge piece of my heart and I don't want anything to happen to him.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have everything setup pretty well. You could probably stand to "up" the temps a bit, temps in the 79-81° range may help a little. Before you do anything to change the temps though... How and where are you measuring the temps? If you are using one of those cheap analog stick on type thermometers then go get a digital before you do anything.
    Just be patient and double and triple check everything in the cage and your guy should come around.
    Again keep an watch on his eyes and coloring... if either seems to change dramatically get back to the vet ASAP with a fecal sample.
    Just for grins and giggles heres a couple of pics of our dragons.......
    This is our male, Spike:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is our female, Carmen:
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ltltiger

Ltltiger Embryo

I will keep very close watch over De'mon. I am using a digitial thermometer. I have it placed in the center of the tank {in neither the hot or cold sides but right in the middle}. Your dragons are sooooo cute Storm they look just like my De'mon. I was never a reptile sort of person before, I have to admit they kind of creeped me out, but then I saw De'mon in a pet store and fell madly in love. Now I can't imagin my life with out one of these lovable creatures in it. He is truly a joy. About 2 weeks ago he went thru his first shedding, is it possible that this is why he's not eating as much? I'm sorry to say that I am not as knowledgable as I should be on the subject but I am always searching for more infor. any advice or guidence you can provide would be greatly appreciated. My son thinks its very funny to watch me with De'mon because I talk to him and cuddle him like most people do with dogs or cats, but you know what De'mon seems to respond to my voice and LOVES all the attention. Who would have guessed huh! I have had people tell me that reptiles cant communicate in the same ways as dogs or cats but I now know differently.