Molting question

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Rick78, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

My uro which I have had for a few years has only molted/shed his skin about three times that I can recall. Does that sound normal? I am asking because the last couple days he is dull in color and a bit sluggish which makes me think a molt is coming soon.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    I dont think it's unusual for uro's to shed infrequently, from what I can gather once or twice a year more normal, this does not mean to say your's has a problem.
    I know you are not a "newcomer" to uro's so would assume your husbandry is good and everything is up to standard :)
    It's possible he is going into shed, it's springtime and would think it's normal, as you know they can take a long time to shed, so this would be a good time to start.
    My Egyptian is on his 3rd shed in 12 months but he has grown from 5 to 11" in that time so skin is too small for him, I expect him to slow down as he gets older.
    I dont think you have anything to worry about, guess he likes the skin he has :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

Well in the other thread someone had mentioned they fed their uro a cup of food a day. I thought I would try and sure enough he eats all of that. I had been feeding mine about two tablespoons full of torn up greens the whole time. Last few weeks it's been a cup at least and it really seems to have filled him out. :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Ooops sorry missed this post.
    I would give him a cup then add more till you find out what his daily intake is then stick with that.
    Mine's 11" long and is about 12 months old and eating 250 grams a week that 1/2lb of veggies.