Moist hideboxes!

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by zarffyn, Jun 21, 2004.

1. zarffyn

zarffyn Member

I have a hidebox in my 10g. It is a small round gladware type container, with a hole cut out of the side. I use spaghum moss for it. But for the life of me, I cannot keep it moist! Anytime I check it, which has been a few times a day, it is completely dried out. I originally soaked the moss in water, and mostly drained it out (didn't want a lake in my tank lol), and I've been trying to mist it with a spray bottle. But I'm not usually home all day, and I'm one of those people who sleep at night.

Any tips for keeping a moist hide box moist? Are there any better substrates I could use for it, that will hold moisture better?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Lets see....

1. Put the lid on the gladware and semi bury the container (I know it was upside down to begin with but your substrate is leaching away the mositure....)
    2. Maybe make the opening smaller? I would put a piece of packing tape across it on the outside and then put a matching piece on the inside. It has some give to it....
    3. Maybe a layer of vermiculite underneath the moss???

Just some thoughts.

Sharon

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. zarffyn

zarffyn Member

When I said substrate, I meant the moss in the hide, my apologies. I'm only using paper towels in the tank, so I can't bury it.. I'll try the other suggestions though. Thanks.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Is the moist hide over the heat source? If it is, try moving it off by a little bit. I find the ones that aren't being heated all the time holfd the moisture better.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. zarffyn

zarffyn Member

Thanks, hobotramp! I moved it to the cooler end, and not only do I not have to moist it as often, but the girls are actually using it now. Woo hoo! :)

And on a side note, hunger is finally beginning to overcome Saturn's stress, as she ate a few crickets today. Gemini, as usual, is a pig in a lizard suit.