Mealworms?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by KLiK, Jul 3, 2004.

1. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i know that iguanas should never be fed animal protein but my iguana's tank is right next to my leos tank and he was going crazy trying to get the mealworms in the bowl. to make sure its what he wanted i gave him one and he ate it instantly. he is a juvenile iguana and i had read on a site that juvies will eat mealworms but as adults they will eat an all vegetarian diet. can someone clear this up for me. i put a black piece of paper on the entire side of the iguana tank facing the leos. here is another site that said they feed their iguanas some mealies along with their salads http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-iguana.html[/url]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Juvies and adult iguanas will also eat Pizza - it doesn't mean that they SHOULD.

I would definitely keep that black paper between the iguana and the gecko, permanently not just at feeding times. Being able to see each other, it can severely stress one, if not both, of them out leading to potential heavy parasite infestations (stress wears down their immune system allowing bacteria & parasites to get a stronger hold).

We never feed ANY animal protien in any of our iguanas diets, regardless of age. We have 1 baby right now (she was around 8" long including the tail when we got her, now she's around 14" long), as well as three adults between 5-6ft long - and none of those adults have ever eaten bugs or other animal protien whilst in our care, and are suffering no problems because of it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

the thing is that the leos and iguan are fine next to each other i have had the iguana for about a month and ive never seen him act like that until today. it was kinda weird.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Still, size differences, and just generally not knowing about the other species can cause stress..

Plus, aside from that, just having their tanks next to each other can cause problems. They both developed in extremely different areas of the world, they can both fend off, and harbor parasites and other problems which could be fatal to the other. Having their enclosures so close together is a risk I wouldn't personally take.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

good call thanks axe