Mealworms "dead"?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by EliteWolf, Sep 19, 2009.

1. EliteWolf

EliteWolf Embryo

Ok.

I have 100 mealworms (regular), they live in bran oatmeal.(Quaker)

I just checked this morning, and like 65+ are on top of the bedding, not moving.

When I squeeze them a little like a pinch, they move, but other than that they are "dead."

What's wrong? The bedding? Food? (Baby Carrots, Potatoes).......Moisture is good.... not wet or very dry....

i need help!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Welcome to the forums.
    I think you will find your mealworms are "dormant" rather than dead. Depending on the temperature of the area you keep them in.
    If you place a few in a dish and put under a warm lamp, not real hot, they should soon warm up and wriggle.
    This is useful, it stops them pupating too quick and they last longer.
    Personally I dont feed them anything extra, other than the oatbran you keep them on, I find they last several weeks no problems. There is nothing to stop you giving then extra food, I just dont bother.
    Hope this helps.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. EliteWolf

EliteWolf Embryo

Well, I want to make these mealies pupate. should i just let them rest or w/e?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. teemarie

teemarie Embryo

I just leave mine sitting out on the counter too, and they do the same thing. Just lay there. And flail when picked up/pinched. :D
    From my experience, they should pupate on their own. I hate when they do it, they're so creepy to touch when they're like that, but aside from putting them in the fridge, I haven't been able to make them stop. -shrug- I don't think there's much you can do to encourage it, aside from put them in a slightly warmer spot. I don't usually feed them anything extra either. Just leave them in their little cup of oatmeal.