Mealworm breeding (update and roaches)

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by asiandude, Aug 21, 2008.

1. asiandude

asiandude New Member

I just want to let everyone know how my mealworm is going.

it was like a month back since i started so here it is:

I have to order 1k for mealies ontop of my 100 original that seem to die and im left with only about 20 pupas.

Since buyign the 1k mealies in despration....which came from worman.com...they were small size and not medium which order.

Took me about 2 weeks to fatten them up to a good size. I notice that some worm were puping so early making them so small as a pupas.

Right now I have over 100 or two of pupas that will be turning to beetle.

My 50 or over beetle were transfer to two separate bin. They one that house them...HAVE BABY MEALWORM!! YEah!!! The are so small and u have to look careful.

Roaches

I start out with 100 colonies of turkstan roaches and not even a single one was adult. It took a long time for them to turn into adult. As of right now...i have about 6 male and only one female...hope there will be more female.

I have not seen they mate or carry eggs yet.

SUperworm
    As for superworm.....this is be far the hardest to breed. I start out with 25 (yea i know too little plus they r expensive)....
    Most of them turn to pupas but when they emerge....they were so deformed..wings curl up..some were longer..and all..

Not many even survive...only have two now.

I hope to update more on this in about a month or two...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

the reason the superworm beetles were deformed is because they were too dry. if you can place all of them in an area with higher humidity.. thats the easiest.. or just mist them daily before they turn to a beetle.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. asiandude

asiandude New Member

r u sure? I put them in small oz size cup. Didn't know u have to mist them in the cup.....

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

i have bred thousands and thousands and thousands of superworms.. i am sure.

it's not that you have to mist them.. you can provide the humidity in other ways.. it just has to be provided.

if you are breeding them in your home and you have a central AC.. you are basically trying to turn them into beetles in a desert. basically no humidity.

most "mealworm type" worms and beetles are found in rotting logs, tree stumps etc.. even on the dryest day these logs and stumps hold LOTS of humidity.

incubate the pupae like you would reptile eggs.. just without the heat.. and you will be very successful at getting superworm beetles... this is not to say that you should use a substrate.. but think about what is going on.. it really is no different than incubating any other type of egg.. you need to maintain an environment that will promote success... you wouldnt take snake eggs and just stick them in a cup and expect success..

superworms are not mealworms.. if they were.. everyone would be breeding them.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. asiandude

asiandude New Member

what would the humidity range be.....i room stay at a constant 40%.