Mealworm breeding questions

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by flygirl, Aug 8, 2008.

1. flygirl

flygirl Embryo

Ok, so I did tons of research on mealworm breeding and got a system set up yesterday. With the current nationwide shortage, I was lucky to get over 100 large mealworms today and over 100 small yesterday.

My How long will it take to get a good size colony going, i.e. 1,000 + mealies?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. asiandude

asiandude New Member

i bought 1k of medium mealies from wormman but when it came in..it was small size so I have to feed them....

THey problem I have is they tend to turn into pupas too early and is very small. Most of my feeder are medium size.

The mealworm when kept at a good temp will turn in about a week or two. Feed them potatoes every three day.

I have lots of pupas and beetle that are mating like crazy and hopefully get baby mealies.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. flygirl

flygirl Embryo

I just ordered 100 adults last night so I will have that to add to my 100 small and 100 large.

The temp in the room they are in is a constant 80*

I feel like a kid in a candy shop. I finally found a hobby besides playing computer games and watching tv ;) I can't wait to see the first pupae!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. asiandude

asiandude New Member

It's summer so temp are high and low.....just keep feeding the small and medium mealies (not too much or mold will appear) and remove uneaten food within the next day.

I also trying to breed turkistan roaches too and only got one male and they are growing.