Mealworm/Beetle Enclosure Size

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by metaldrivensoul, Oct 27, 2004.

1. metaldrivensoul

metaldrivensoul New Member

Just curious as to what the optimal size enclosure is to rear the mealworm bettles. Here is what i currently have going on (i know substrate and water source is needed...i was in the middle of a substrate changing when i took this). Is it too small and if it is, how big should i go?

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Wes

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. joe5555

joe5555 Member

i would say thats fine but it could be bigger

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JStrider

JStrider Member

depends on how many mealies ya want and are trying to support...

ive got mine in a container about that size and i usually have enough for 2 leos... sometimes i'll have to buy a 100 or so mealies to give the colony a lil boost...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

I use 32 quart Sterilite containers for my mealworm colonies. Model number 1756. They are 23 1/2"L x 16 1/4"W x 6 3/8"H. I started my colony by buying 2000 mealworms and letting them all pupate, then transfered the Beatles to the 32 quart container. I am not really sure how many I have now. 10's of thousands??? 100's of thousands??? Millions??? I really am not sure. I have 4 of the 32 quart containers at different stages of development. I never put them in the fridge, I just let them keep repeating their life cycles.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Derek

Derek Member

The tub you hade them in the picture lookes good Very simular to what I breed mine in. I would just put a few toilet paper rolles in there for them.