many question on corn snake and housing..

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by haohao, Nov 4, 2004.

1. haohao

haohao Embryo

hi i'm planning to get a corn snake very soon. i have a 2 feet tank which i decided to keep my corn in. the problem is, the tank do not have a cover. i've went to my neighbourhood pet store but the man tell me that they do not sell fish tank's cover. i've read up care sheets on corn snakes that said that they are escape artist. is there any way i can make a escape proof cover of my self? is there any one out there using a cover that you make your self? if there is any, can u tell me how you make it and could you post some pictures of it here. also, i've look up care sheets of corn snake about what substrates to use, i heard that repti-bark stain colours on the animals, it that true? i am told to use aspen, but i want to have a rainforest looking vivarium so i like reptibark better. i'm confuse on what to use.. can any one tell me? also, can i put live plants in the tank also? is there any plants that you people recommend? can any one help me in those questions. thank you. :roll:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

You could check other pet stores for covers. Making one is pretty easy though, build a frame out of wood and wrap it with screen. Then just keep it wieghted down to keep the snake from getting out under it.
    Reptibark is good for substrate, just make sure you treat it Provent-a-mite or "bake" it in the oven prior to using it to keep out the mites. Cypress mulch that can be purchased at most home depot, lowes, and walmarts is good also. It is typically around $3.00 a bag. As for the live plants, you may want to skip them. The snake will destroy the plants, especially once it gets older.
    Oh and Welcome To Reptile Rooms!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

You can purchase a top from www.petsmart.com and also www.petco.com . I'm sure there are many other places, also. Purchase the security clips. They are wonderful. No snake can get out from under them, when they are properly fitted.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ~}Bastet{~

~}Bastet{~ New Member

I've got a 2 year old corn, i was also stuck with what to use as a top for the tank, so i'm just using the card board that covering the top, i just re-inforsed it with some tape, put some holes in the top so she don't suffercate, and two heavy books on top so she doesn't get out. It will do till i get a bigger viv.
    :shock: She hasn't escaped yet :shock:

But she did escape when i first got her. I had her in a small plastic reptile carrying case, with a flimsy plastic lid that i thought she would never lift it off. She was so small i thought i would never find her again. But i was lucky she was rapper around the Tv cabble, more then likely getting the wormth of the tv.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

I had the same problem as you, I had a tank with no lid. So we made our own, I dont have any pictures of it but all we did was take the measurements and cut some think wood (so we could grip it when taking it off) to size and used a drill to make air holes. Worked a treat. The reptibark I used on my corns (after baking it first though) and they were all fine on it, made a mess with it but where fine! The plant bit I'm not sure on becuase I was always taught by my animal care instructor not to put live plants in with reptiles incase they end up eating them etc and that could cause harm so I always used plastic plants which they all loved. Wish you the best with your corn :(

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. susyq

susyq Member

i made my own tops out of wood, 1st i made a tight fitting frame made of 18mm x 40mm batoning then i measured the entire frame and cut a piece of 18mm thick board to cover the whole frame, then i cut across to make 2 pieces 1 of which was 3/4 of the total length, this piece was hinged at the back and fastened clips at the front. the remaining 1/4 is permanently fixed and houses the hotspot light. hope this helps, ps none of mine have escaped out of these lids even though they have tried :)

12. EvilSquish

EvilSquish New Member

Some of my tanks here have homemade tight fitting lids, made out of wood with the same concept of a picture or window frame, using chicken wire tightly secured on the outside of the lid (where the animal can't hurt himself on it) I'm using a lid like that for my black rat snake baby, my tokay gecko, my baby corn (snow), and so far so good as far as escape goes. Problem is it's a good fit so accessing inside your tank requires a bit of work, but that also means that the animal won't get out. Best part, wasn't expensive at all to build, and it looks pretty good.
    most pet stores should sell wire and/or mesh lids though, so if that first place didn't have one I wouldn't stop looking. Make sure it's a tight fitting lid, I lost a baby corn years ago from a small opening in a lid I didn't even notice until after he was gone.
    My male adult corn is now happily sitting in a old tv entertainment stand... he has all kinds of room and has 2 levels to play in, the upper part having his heat light and some hides, witht he lower part having his water and some hides. Works very well.
    Goodluck.

13. Lexxicos

Lexxicos New Member

Snakes won't eat plants. They can't eat plants. I couldn't imagine what would even trigger them to eat a plant. It's not something they do. If the plant somehow smells like mice, I suppose it would get the snake interested, but that interest would soon be quelched as soon as the snake feels the shape and coldness of the leaf. Snakes are instinctual, but in some instances, they're not dumb.