Male herps

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by LizardGuy1313, Nov 9, 2002.

1. LizardGuy1313

LizardGuy1313 New Member

Hey, does anybody know of any herps that can have 2 males in the same enclosure? I don't mean if there is lots of space either. :eek: :eek: :cool: :mad: :( :) :eek:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Viper geckos can live quite happily together if you've got several males. Although, if you have got several males, don't put females in there. When breeding time comes around, even though they don't usually fight for territory, they will often fight for males.

But, many types of lizards you can have multiple females together. If you're thinking about saving money by getting several males instead of several females, don't even try it. The little extra you'd spend on a female is nothing compared to the cost of actually keeping & feeding the animal when done correctly - and that's a comment you can generalise about. Whether it's a $300 juvenile bearded dragon, or a $2 anole, it's going to cost you more in the first year to house and feed it than for the actual cost of the animal.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. pastleyellowleo

pastleyellowleo New Member

you could look into a small gecko called the indo pacific gecko. all that you need to have babies is one induvidual.these guys(girls actually)form fertile eggs by themselves and lay them they are easy and cheap around $5-$10.thay dont change sex they just lay fertile eggs

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

you can house tweo male corn snakes together as long as you do it when they are young so they can grow together.

froggy

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do that. Corn snakes have been known to be cannibalistic.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

There we go... this is the image I'd been looking for...

[​IMG]

And, as this image shows, young ones are also cannibalistic - probably more so than adults.

12. HaCkErHeRp

HaCkErHeRp Embryo

Ok, Im a new memmber so I'll make it short corn snakes can be housed together (if you want to risk it) I have tryed so i know. What happens is that they will try to eat each other but some snake raised in cap dont know how to kill other snakes or other live food. I also know that this point can be made if you toke a baby mouse not a pinky and tried to feed it to a baby snke it will try to kill it but once it cant it will give up. try it you will see. If you dont like my answer write back i like new info it helps with my job.

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

A wild animal, especially a carnivore will always have the kill & hunt instinct, regardless of how you raise it - hence the tempramentality of dogs (although generations of inbreeding could account for that lil lunacy too).

Hatchling corns fed on nothing but frozen/thawed pinkies will also take live pinkies, and some snakes will ONLY take live prey (as often seen in problem feeding boas & ball pythons).

A lot of people have housed corns together perfectly fine. Personally, I wouldn't do it. It's not worth the risk. Not when setting up another tank costs so little in comparison to the cost of the snake and feeding it - as well as the potential emotional loss of losing one pet to another.

Although, I will admit the chances of cannibalism between corn snakes is a LOT less than something like a California King that's notorious for being cannibalistic, as well as eating other species of snake - I hear they're quite partial to rattlers :)

What's your job by the way?

[Edited on 24/11/2002 by Axe]

14. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

i have housed corn snakes together almost all my life. yeah you dont house hatchlings together or the killer instinct will kick in. but two sub adult or adult males can be housed together. i have two adults hosued together now and have been togehter since they were born. they are not having any problems. kings and milks are a no no they are naturaly snake eaters, when my milk was really little i used to feed her baby hog noses. well i hope this helps

froggy

15. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I have seen people keep corns together and they seem to be fine.
    Some things that need to be considered when housing snakes together.... they must be fed in separate enclosures or they may end up being overstreseed from having to fight for food. Another thing to take into consideration is how to determine who is passing things properly and who is not, also which one of the snakes is leaving that nasty runny pile in the corner ;p

[Edited on 11/26/2002 by stormyva]

16. HaCkErHeRp

HaCkErHeRp Embryo

Ok Axe I do agree with you. And to let you know I'm a Petland Discount reptile expert. I manleyset up food diets and take care of illness such as (ex) like mouthroot and Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) for short. Right now I own 7 reptiles.
    Ok now back to corns. I know what your saying Axe but feed a corn snake dead food for most of its life, and then feed it a live rat when it is grown. You cant do that because the snake is so use to eating dead food that when it comes time to kill the rat its going to have trouble because the rat is going to fight back. The mane cause of this is because when you raise the snake from a baby on dead/froozen pinkies, to dead baby mouses, to medium rats, then just live full grown rats how do you expect the snakes instinct to kick in, without it learning to kill a live pinky or baby mouse.
    Now do you see its a learning process in life. Its just like us haveing to learn how to read and write, if we don't know how too we can't really survive against someone how can in todays world we would be considered dume or retarted. And if your 50 years old and don't know how to read and write do you ever think you'll learn enough to be better then someone who's been reading and writeing thier whole life?
    It just comes down too one thing. And that is if the Snake is a better learner then others. So it really has to do with the snake but put is this way a snake that is feed dead food for all its life should never be put with a snake that has been eating live food all its life. BIG NO NO!!!! Well I hope my article is to your likeing Axe I hope to hear fromm you again.

17. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I do understand your point, but your argument contradicts itself by the apparent fact that the snake hasn't "learned" the "instinct" to kill. That's the whole thing. Instincts aren't learned behaviours.

Reading and writing isn't an instinct for us. That is a learned behaviour. It's like feeding a dog veggies all its life. Do you think that because it hasn't learned that meat is food it's not going to eat it the first time you put the bowl in front of it? Hell no, it's gonna wolf it down like there's no tomorrow :)

But, like I said, to a degree I do see your point. Snakes that have been fed on prekilled food do learn to realise that they don't have to hunt & kill prey - that doesn't mean they won't (or don't know how to). It just means they've learned that they don't HAVE to. Nor does it necessarily mean that something that's eaten live prey all its life is going to kill anything you put in a tank with it.

Personally, as I said at the start, it's just a personal thing. I wouldn't want to take the risk. Not when it cost so comparatively little to setup another 20 or 30 gallon tank :)

I know a couple of people who have over a hundred corn snakes in their collection - each (and that's not including hatchlings). Mostly they're housed in rack systems, but there are some housed in glass tanks for display. The only times they keep multiple snakes together is hatchlings on the way to be sold, or adults only when breeding.

18. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

i haveto agree with axe here. killing is an instinct, not a learned trait. i have corn snakes, that have been fed f/t mice for 4 plus years, and for shits and giggles i out a live mouse iin and bam wrapeed killed and ate. so it is not a learned response, not in mine anyways. but back to the subject at hand i believe that two adult corn snakes of relative size can live together.

froggy

19. Rainey

Rainey New Member

Axe, I know you know what you're talking about on the Cornsnake Forum, and it looks like that's the case here too! I thought i would check it out and boom, there's cornsnake stuff! How exciting!

I am in complete agreement with you. I think it has been said, but let me stress it. Corns can be cannibalistic. Housing them together is not necessarily a good idea and it is a risk, but it's a matter of personal preference. I would never put them together, but that's my perogative. I'm not willing to risk one of my babys, cuz I'm super attached to them.

In the end it is a risk, not a huge one, but a risk none the less

20. LizardGuy1313

LizardGuy1313 New Member

aright, thanx people. I got the picture :) lol :)