making sure cresties eat

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by I_Am_Mike, Mar 31, 2005.

1. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

well, I've had little Mort for about a week now, and I havent seen him eat yet. Ive had a bowl of crested gecko diet or baby food in at all times (changed daily) and ive been putting a 4-5 crickets in every day or so. Most of them dont seem to be there, I've seen some crickets go behind the rock wall (i have the new exo terra tank with the flase rock wall) and there not there. So I assumed that they were all eaten, but today my sister noticed a cricket in the kitchen. Ive plugged up where im sure they got out, so I'll keep a look out for the ones in there now. But how can i make sure that he is actually eating them all?

thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BeccaL

BeccaL New Member

eating

Have you noticed any droppings? That's an obvious sign their eating.

Try to make sure there are not a lot of places the crickets can hide. I had to take out all my rocks because the crickets were hiding under them. I wasn't sure about my crestie eating too for the first week. I would go into the room about an hour after dusk and he would be on the bottom of the tank. I assumed he was hunting. Now I'm positive he's eating. He goes to the bathroom on me just about everytime I hold him :)

My crestie will eat baby food from my finger. I've only noticed that he's eaten once from his dish. I wouldn't think that all of the crickets you put in the tank escaped. I don't think they are that smart. They carelessly walk in front of the crestie :D

Look around the tank for dropping, especially where your crestie likes to hide.

Becca

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

actually no, i havent seen any droppings, accept for in the box on the way home from the pet store, and i guess theres a few little plants i could take out so they cant hide there
    thanks for the help BeccaL

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

To get him on your babyfood mix bring him down to the dish and get little fingers full and place them in front of him. Let him lick it up and keep moving the finger until its actually in the dish, he should keep licking actually within the dish. Thats how I got Spike on it at least, he used to just walkl through it and it get all over the place.

Try taking hiding places out, you'd be surprised about hte eating as well. Most will only hunt crickets when its really dark, so you may be asleep when hes hunting.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. I_Am_Mike

I_Am_Mike New Member

thanks

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

make sure you feed him at night too.....they are nocturnal.