lowering heat in tank

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by leon_kuyo, Jul 22, 2011.

1. leon_kuyo

leon_kuyo New Member

i live in new jersey and right now the temperature is above 100 degrees, the temp is going up on the tank too is there a way i can lower it? its at 95 right now

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I feel your pain on this heat wave going through, hoping relief comes soon.

Question: Are you using any kind of heat source in the enclosure, or is the entire thing getting this hot even with the heat source turned off? If you are, you can try lowering the wattage of the bulb - or using a lamp dimmer (rheostat) to dim it down. The dimmer can also be applied if you are using something such as an undertank heater or heat tape.

If the ambient temperature of the overall enclosure is still too hot, I would shut off all heating elements until this wave passes. If the cool end of the enclosure stays dangerously warm to where the animal cannot find relief, consider wrapping up baggies of ice or cold pack in a towel or cloth and placing onto one side of the viv; perhaps near a hide where the herp may be resting. These would obviously have to be swapped out somewhat frequently.

You can also get a small fan and have it blowing on one side of the viv, even in combination with the above tactic.

Do whatever you can to keep your herp cool if the ambient temperature in your house and in the viv is getting as hot as you mention, particularly if the heating element is turned off. If you have no AC in your home and temperatures are skyrocketing, consider moving your herp and viv temporarily to a friend or family member's residence where cooler temperatures can be found until the wave passes. These temperatures are dangerously hot for many species with the exception of only some of the more arid dwellers. Heat kills - I have a greater fear in shipping animals in hot weather than in cold, they can snap back from being nearly frozen, but heat exhaustion is detrimental.

I'm not sure the severity of your situation, so I've included recommendations to both a minor situation (too much heat due to the heating element) and the severe situation (your home is getting this hot, and thus so is your herp's viv). Hope this helps! Good luck!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

What temps are ideal for your animal?
    If you want to lower it and you don't have air conditioning:
    1) obviously turn off all lights and other heating elements
    2) place a fan in the room directed at the cage (not like gale force winds or anything but good air circulation helps)
    3) place a large bowl of ice with a paper towel or a towel over it in front of the fan or even inside the enclosure - make sure if you put it in the enclosure that it's sufficiently covered so your animal cannot fall INTO the bowl with the ice.

Hope that helps!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. leon_kuyo

leon_kuyo New Member

thank you guys, i was just getting worried for him, but it worked by just turning on my house air conditioner.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Wade

Wade New Member

Open a window and place a fan in front of it so it is blowing the hot air directly out of the room.